My PC takes a lot of time to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I can't explain it ver y well... but I formatted this pc 3 times, one of them was because the boot was taking 5 minutes, after I turn it on, a black screen with some white bar to load, it takes about 4 min to load 1/3 and then it auto-completes and finishes the boot normally with the windows XP loading screen and all stuff
I just wanna know where is the problem, I reckon is the HD, but... dunno, gonna post here the situation
my HD has two partitions, C: and D:...

1st format: Windows XP Professional SP2 was on C:, taking 5 mins to load, I can't say when it started, but it was after like 8 months after I bought the pc
2nd format (on D: ): didn't have any problems with this whie loading screen at all
3rd format (now, C: again, 1 year and half later:: the problem came back, just as I installed windows xp on C: again :/

looks like some HD problem... well, would be good if someone could give me some advice on that, thx :)

There can be many causes.

If you suspect you HDD, you can submit it to a test. Try the Windows own tool first:
My Computer (Desktop) > Right click on disk > Properties > Tools > Check now (tick repair). You may be told that the disk is in use and the test will be done on reboot.

You can also use more advanced tools, such as the free HD Tune:
http://www.hdtune.com/

Till you find the cause, preferably even after, you can reduce start-up time by:
Uninstall unnecessary programs
Stop apps from unnecessarily starting on their own with Windows
De-activate unnecessary Windows services
Update drivers
Remove unused fonts
Clean & repair the registry
Clean all temporary data (CCleaner)
Scan for all malware (see TechSpot’s 8 Steps)

We can help if you give us more details about your pc other than just the operating system. What are your system specs.

55gb isnt much at all for a hdd space. now is 512mbs of ram for running processes. I suggest taking the steps listed above before you go any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back