My pc will not boot...fans just spin.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok...my pc will not boot at all.when i turn it on i hear nothing except for fans...no beeps...the only way i hear the harddrive is to unplug it from the motherboard. anyway theres no bios or nothing...this all happeneed when i removed the heat sink to see what procsesser i have(big mistake) but at least i no know.... i put the processer and heatsink back on properly at least to my knowledge,,,

specs

western digital harddrive 80gb
768mb of ram pc2700
dell 2400 motherboard
intel celeron 2.4ghz
geforce 128mb videocard pci

Hi there, and welcome to Techspot.

When you placed the CPU back in the motherboard, did it just slide in softly, or ..... did some pins bend?

I'd take the CPU out again and have a look at the CPU pins to see if any are bent.

When you put the heatsink back on the CPU, did you clean off the old thermal paste and apply some new goo? You need to. Thermal pads/paste are usually no good once you break that seal. You need to buy some thermal paste and after cleaning the old stuff off, apply the new.

Also, what do you mean when you say:
the only way i hear the harddrive is to unplug it from the motherboard

one pen bent somehow..but i straightended it out. it goes in smooth..yes the thermal paste broke..what does thermal paste do? and what i meant when i said about the hard drive is when its hooked up to the mobo it make no noise...but when i dissconnect and just power it it make noise.

okay i look closer there is one pin bent i couldnt see it well becuase of the light i thought i straighed it...could this be the reason my pc doesnt boot? this processer goes into place fine but there is one bent pin...also what the best method of straighten them?

update i have some good and bad new one off the pins broke off the processer...okay sence that happened when i turn my pc on both my cd and dvd drive are opening before they didnt do anything...and aslo my usb ports are not giving power and i cant see anything on my monitor..and the hard drive is making the sound now when connected to the system board.

A pin broke off the CPU?

Ouch.

Hate to break the bad news to you, but you are going to need a new CPU.

what does thermal paste do?

It assists in the heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink, and is VITAL to keeping your CPU cool. Without it, the heat can not transfer into the heatsink, and the CPU will overheat.

Whenever you remove a heatsink (especially one that has been on for some time) you are breaking the seal that has been formed, and you can not use the same thermal pad. You have to clean off the old stuff and put on some new.

yes i pretty much figured that if a pin broke it neeeded a new cpu...lol....anyway i was in luck i had a extra dell 2400 that was given to me that was stripped down only thing in it was a heatsink and mobo and processer and modem....so its the same processer intel celeron 2.4ghz, so i put it in there it works fine now.

i just put the procsessor in there..and no i have not put the paste in there...i am not using the computer until i get some,,i ordered some thermsl paste on ebay and ordered a intel pentuim 4 processor 2.6ghz..i ordered another because my friend wants his cpu and ram back.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back