My PC won't boot up why?

By jeffblockley
Mar 28, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My monitor started to go black and then it would give the disconected from the PC simble, I could then switch off My PC by holding the button then then switch it on again and it would come back on then the walpaper on the PC would be all over the place then lines now my PC wont boot up even in safe mode why?

Jeff
  2. jeffblockley

jeffblockley Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Can no one help?
  3. rf6647

rf6647 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 931

Bummer

I stumbled upon this post. The board here has a wealth of info about troubleshooting problems (Guides & solved issues). Some of my posts show my interest in recovering dead machines.

Graphic cards (video) and power supply units (psu) are high on the suspect list.

Check the cable and connectors for the monitor. Is the video intergrated into the motherboard? Does the monitor work in another computer? Is this no longer a problem?

Is the problem now reduced to 'cannot boot into safe mode nor normal' ? Is it a rolling boot or a hard shutdown?

See ya.
  4. jeffblockley

Thanks for your reply

I took the Graphics card to a PC repair store and got it checked, and it is the card. I have a Medion PC with a Radeon 9800 XXL card this is the second card in 3 yrs. What could be the problem? I thought Radeon was a good card.
    Now what card do i replace it with? Can i put any card in?

Jeff
  5. topps999

topps999 Newcomer, in training Posts: 184

yes, dependin on ur pci speed , 16x or 8x..
  6. rf6647

heat & transients

Serious gamers post in this forum quite often. I think I have detected that driving machines to the edge is quite exciting. Most take precautions against heat by installing more and/or larger fans. Placement of the card (if pci) is also considered, as well as, going to round cables versus the standard ribbon cables for the drives with the understanding it makes for better air movement.

Also, postings in several forums are fussy about power supply units (psu's). If the graphics card is receiving inadequate power, it can be damaged. Inferior psu's also generate voltage transients which are harmful to all electronics.

Check these forums for updated posts re: atx psu's --
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=142753
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=974240

One thread I participated in, solved a problem with the graphics card by blowing away the accumulated crud. I assume precautions were followed to avoid esd (electostatic discharge).

Other threads cover overclocking and the potential to damage memory and cpu. Others should be able to contribute here to advise you if graphics cards can be tweaked to avoid undue stress.
  7. jeffblockley

No, it is not a PCI card it is an AGP card can i still put any card in, and what would anyone recommend? I am not a big gamer.
  8. rf6647

known conditions

Based on posted info, your computer supports AGP 4x or 8x. Your defunct Radeon 9800 xxl used a direct connection to the power supply and it had an on-board fan. Most computers support PCI graphics cards, as well. Any card needs to fit the space inside your computer.

All PCI slots are not considered equal. Documentation for the motherboard may cover this aspect. In general, closest to the agp slot usually works best.

A familiar catchphrase often posted here: RTFM - meaning that documentation supplied with your computer should be consulted.

Remember, sometimes graphics card failures cause failures of the power supply unit that do not give convincing symptoms. With a new graphics card you advance to the next step and, hopefully it means you are in the clear - up & running.

Good luck.
  9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

hallmark signs of a failing PSU.
  10. jeffblockley

Up and running with a new radeon 9550 thanks guys

Jeff
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.