TechSpot

My Poor lil Mouse

By RichDevil
Aug 24, 2004
  1. Hey guys! maybe you can help me with a little problem I'm having since i upgraded my PC this weekend.
    I have a USB Geniuss Optical Netscroll+ mouse which worked fine on my old motherboard(MSI K7N) but this weekend I upgraded to my new motherboard (MSI K8N Neo plat) and now windows doesnt detect my mouse when it starts up, I have to keep unpluging it and plugging it back in before windows detects it, any ideas why this is happening. I have Windows XP with Service pack1 loaded

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Welcome to TechSpot

I can't find your mouse-model in USB on the Genius website.
    There should be a USB-PS/2 adapter with it.
    Start-up with that mouse in PS/2 mode (or use any other PS/2 mouse if you have no adapter).
    Then check that you have installed the NVidia USB drivers that came with your mobo on the CD.
    Next insert the mouse in a USB-port. Select a standard USB-driver that XP offers (if any). Install the Genius mouse-drivers once the mouse works.

Reboot to make sure it still works

Let us know how you get on.

3. RichDevil

RichDevil TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have installed the USB driver and the USB patch that was supplied with the Mobo but it dont make any difference, I'll try connecting it as P/S-2 see if that helps, thanks for the help :)

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Did you uninstall all the drivers for your old motherboad? Did you install the chipset drivrs for your new motherboard?

5. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,058

Did you enable USB mouse support in your system BIOS under "Advanced Chipset Features"?

6. RichDevil

I formatted my hard drive when I built the PC thought it would be better to start off freash hehe, and the USB mouse support is on in the BIOS, the mouse works fine with the PS/2 adapter, but still windows doesnt want to automaticly detect it on start up, maybe i'll just leave the adapter and move on with life :D

7. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

You might as well leave the adapter on there if it is working fine. It also frees up another USB port on your computer.

BTW :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

8. RichDevil

HeHe Thanks alot!!! :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.