My screen goes black at the Log On screen

By draxus
Apr 6, 2006
  1. Please help me.
    I was just sitting on my computer and all of the sudden it freezes. So I go to restart it and everything works and loads. It gets past the windows loading screen and then when it gets to where the Log On would be it goes completely black. After a few seconds my mouse pointer appears and that is all that loads. I have tried booting it in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, and safemode with networking, but all that happens is the screen is black and it says safe mode on the corners, and a little bit of information on the top. When i run my Linux Live CD everyhting will load and work(which is how I am typing) so Linux will work and windows will not, please help me.

Thank you,
  2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

And last known good configuration ?

Try the recovery console on the XP CD
  3. draxus

draxus TS Rookie Topic Starter

I also tried the last known good configuration, I'll try the XP recovery thing.

EDIT: I use the recovery thing and when i get ot the long list of commands I'm not sure what i should do. I think fixboot, because it says it will make another boot sector but I am not sure what that means and I do not want to mess it up any further.
  4. Peddant

Chkdisk might be the first thing to try.
  5. draxus

I do the chkdsk /p and i get
    "chkdsk has found one or more errors on the volume."
    What should i do now?

6. Peddant

7. draxus

Thank you Peddant, those sites realy helped. I got everything working. Thanks again

8. Peddant

What exactly fixed your problem ? Other people reading this thread in two years time would like to know.:)
  9. draxus

I did the chkdsk to find out that a file was messed up. So then I did the first option on the XP cd. Which was to install my operating system. I did this and it said that it detected I already had it and it asked a few questions and I just answered reintall XPfiles only, so I had all of my files and everyhting, the only thing I needed to do was get the windows updates and install DirectX again. Thanks again

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.