My screen goes blank randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohd Haq

Hi,
i am a new member here. so, hi to everybody.
I have a strange problem with my computer. I have Celeron 1.7 Ghzs processor on Jetway P4MFM motherboard. I have 256 MB + 128 MB of RAM. Both of different companies. A 400 Watts Adcom power supply. 80 gb Seagate harddisc and samsung cd writer. and not to forget my vga card is an inbuilt on. (Prosavage DDR). I have Windows Xp Pro SP2 and Windows 98 installed. Now about the problem. From past three months my windows xp Pro system is just randomly going blank. some times it shows BOSD and sometimes it just goes blank. even restart button does'nt work. i have to shutdown and restart the system. My first action was to scan my computer with antivirus software. I scanned my comp with an updated version of Norton Internet suite 2005. and afterwards with updatedversion of McAfee antivirus software. and i also scanned my computer with the updated version of Microsoft defender for spyware software but nothing to be found. After that i checked my Memory sticks with memtest software for problems but even after one hour of test no errors occured. Then i removed all the devices which i could removed and then started my computer but in vian. even i checked with on RAM chip at a time but same result. I have vacummed my complete system many times thinking that it might be the dust thats causing the problems but the same thing. I check the temperates but they were well below the danger mark(CPU temp: 45-50 C, Motherboard: 35-40 C). I don't know about the ideal voltages for computer but here are the voltages shown by the Bios. CPU 1.75V: 1.56-1.72, 12V: 11.0-11.89, 5V: 5.0-5.3. now these are the voltages ranges that the Bios showed when i watched them for 20 Minutes. these are highest and the lowest which i observed. Now one thing will mention here is that my computer is working fine with Windows 98 on a new Fujitsu hard disc which i bought a few weeks ago. so, Is it the problem with the hard disc and onething there are no bad secters in my Seagate harddisc and i have checked it with scandisc utility for any bad sectors or read write errors.
So, anyone please help me. i have used all the methods which i know but in vian. so please please help me.

Try running without the 128MB stick of RAM, some mobos don't like 2 diff size ram sticks or it could just be one or the other stick is going bad. I know you ran 1 hr of memtest but this doesn't always catch bad ram.

How old it the 400W PSU? Take 20-25% off it's rating for every year of full time use. (ie. 24/7) Then go Here and calculate what you actually need. Remember to also take about 30% off the top of the 400W Adcom generic crappy Before you start the yearly aging deduction. (read the sticky at the top the the above link).

Did you set the PC to write minidump files?
Right click on :My Computer/properties/advanced/Start&Recovery
Collect some mindumps (5 or 6) zip them together and post in the Windows OS forum.

Hi,
thanks for the reply. i have tried running my computer using one RAM stick at a time but you see the same problem. One more thing i am having the same problem on LINUX also. so, it is definately hardware problem. As far as the link you have supplied, I will check it and inform you about the result. and far as the dump files are concerned i have kernel dump file. can i upload it becuase its size is 22 MB. if you think minidump files can work then i will set my computer to generate minidump files and send 5-6 .dmp files as you have said.
so please do guide me. and once again thanx for the reply.

Here is Howard's instructions about posting minidumps, please read those first. Don't post the kernel dump file.

When you have to power down to get it to restart, I assume you mean the back power switch on the PSU? This is an indication of a faulty PSU or a faulty motherboard.

Also never run two AV programs at the sametime, either use Norton or McAfee not both. Better yet dwnload and install AVG and delete both of the above AV programs.

Hi,
thanks for the reply. By powering off i mean that i have to switch off my computer by pressing the atx power switch for few seconds and then powering on.
yesterday i checked the voltages and i noticed that 12V voltages is fluctuating rapidly but within the range of 11.90-12.15. the 5v and 3.3v are almost stable. and one this mine is celeron 1.7 ghz processor with a v-core power of 1.7. But i have noticed from the bios that the V-Core is fluctuating with a range of 1.48-1.78. Is this normal. or is my PSU faulty. And also i have checked the link you sent and checked my computer wattage needs. My PSU is 400 Watts one and after calculations my requirement is only 320 Watts. So, i think no problem with my wattage needs.
I shall upload the minidump files when i have them.
thanx.

Mini dump files

Hi,
these are the recent dump files for your reference. please help me and tell me the solution since i am unable to do anything on my comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back