My Sony Vaio is completely dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I recently inherited a Sony Vaio PCG-FRV37 notebook computer that is completely dead, no lights, no sounds, nothing. I've checked for the obvious things like making sure the power supply is working (it does). hit the reset button many times, and some other misc quick fix ideas I picked up in other posts of simular nature. So now I pretty much have faced the idea that my motherboard must be blown, or definitely damaged (picofuse perhaps? have no idea what that is or where that would be, not sure I really even want to know)
Just not very technically inclined I guess, (probably obvious, I'm sure)
What I am mainly hoping for, is that someone could give me an idea what these kind of repairs can cost. I realize at some point for a accurate estimate, I will have to have it looked at in person, but thats not what I am looking for right now. I just want to get an idea what kind of prices I should expect to encounter, (providing the problem is the motherboard at all) can this be fixed without costing a fortune? Any suggestions will be gratefully excepted!
Thanks, Miles

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Being you recently inherited this lappy, you won't know the circumstance that caused this. So you'll be flying blind til we discover what has happened and if it can be repaired for reasonable costs.
Most likey the picofuse and diods that protect the laptop voltage will need to be replaced. You'll need all the Sony doc's for this, in order to DIY. Here's a start Sony Vaio PCG-FRV37 Users Manual...
Otherwise look into Sony repair or local repair. I would at least try it myself, were I, you.

G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back