My Start Menu will not open, display larger than monitor,windows close on their own,

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryaned

Hope someone can be of help.
Problems began when winfixer installed itself, I think.
Here's what I have done thus far:
updated Winddws security sevrvice pack
installed and ran CleanUp 4.0,Ad-Aware se, C W Shredder, Spybot S+D 1.4
and 1.31 tx, Envido 5.0 and Housecalll
I have enclosed my system information I got from Everest and my last HJT log
in advance

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name RYANED2 (ryaned2)
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2000 MHz (20 x 100)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (05/28/02)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
Monitor HP Pavilion MX75 (THLEM04280)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 4D060H3 (60 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive CyberDrv CW058D CD-R/RW (32x/12x/48x CD-RW)
Optical Drive LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 53621 MB (35287 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 4988 MB (760 MB free)
Total Size 57.2 GB (35.2 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HP PS2 Keyboard (2K - 3)
Mouse Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (192.168.1.100)
Modem Lucent Win Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Fax
Printer hp deskjet 3820 series
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical

If I'm honest, I personally can't see anything that should be causing the resolution problems you describe.

There is a lot of stuff on your computer you probably don't need any more (aol for example - I'm guessing you've swithced ISP's), but I can find noting more sinister than WildTangent on your machine and a possible trojan horse.

Ad-Aware SE should be able to get rid of WildTangent (last time I checked anyway). If not, you should be able to remove it simply from add/remove programs.

I know the following entries are bad, but given the problems you describe, I'll stop short of telling you to remove them just incase there's something I'm missing.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [xwxsx] C:\WINDOWS\xwxsx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2omdpqdg] C:\Program Files\2omdpqdg\2omdpqdg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dinst] C:\WINDOWS\dinst.exe

O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe

Reply to Spike

Sorry for the delay in responding. I ran Ad-Aware SE, removed AOL and Wild Tangent and somehow a necessary part of my Norton Antivirus software was lost(ATL71.DLL) and I'm having all kinds of problems because I don't have IE and
Symantec claims I need it to download their "Automated Support Assistant".
My start menu now opens, but the display is to large for my screen and I have scroll all windows horizontally as well as vertically. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. Ned
I did not remove the bad entries as you seemed to stop short of recommending I do so.

this is probably a silly question, but are you able to increase your screen resolution?

Just so you know, the reason I've stopped short of telling you to fix\remove those entries is because I havn't come across them before and can't find any info on them.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dinst] C:\WINDOWS\dinst.exe is the possible trojan (Win32/TrojanDownloader.Intexp), but the other 04 entries could be anything as far as I'm aware (the meaningless and random names are fairly suspect). There are people here far better than me that might have a better idea of what they are and/or what they may be a symptom on. Could be something or nothing really.

HJT should be able to fix those 09's, but only after the program has been uninstalled (otherwise you'd still have a problem with it.)

When you say you don't hae IE, do you literlally mean that it's not there, or that you uninstalled it from add/remove programs? If you mean the latter, go to start -> run -> type "iexplore" and hit enter.

Response to Spike

If I increase the resolution(currently 800x600 pixels) the print and images are to small, and if I try to compensate by changing the DPI from 96 to 120 the images are to large and short cuts "fall" of my desktop. Maybe there's a happy medium, I'll continue trying different combinations. Your suggestion to get to IE through run->iexplore worked. Thanks, Ned

put HijackThis in e.g C:\Program Files\HJT and NOT in Temp or on the Desktop!.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\HijackThis-1.exe

Boot in Safe Mode.
Switch System restore OFF, see how here.
In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.
Next, open Windows Task Manager.

On Windows 95/98/ME, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
On Windows NT/2000/XP, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
Click the Processes tab, select the process (if there), click End Process for:
DDCMan.exe
DDCActiveMenu.exe
ViewMgr.ex
xwxsx.exe
2omdpqdg.exe
dinst.exe
wfx5.exe

Next, try to UNinstall anything to do with (not delete yet!):
C:\Program Files\WildTangent\DDC\DDCManager\DDCMan.exe
C:\Program Files\WildTangent\DDC\ActiveMenu\DDCActiveMenu.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\2omdpqdg\2omdpqdg.exe
C:\Program Files\WinFixer 2005\wfx5.exe
C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe

Next, run a HJT scan and (if still there) place a tick-mark in the little square before:
...................................................................................................
O2 - BHO: (no name) - SOFTWARE - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000000-0000-48CF-8E78-66B2BA3753FB} - C:\Program Files\2omdpqdg\2omdpqdg.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Band Class - {00F1D395-4744-40f0-A611-980F61AE2C59} - C:\WINDOWS\dsr.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EA5A82FB-D6BE-44F9-9363-B1ABABC153C1} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DDCM] "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\DDC\DDCManager\DDCMan.exe" -Background
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DDCActiveMenu] "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\DDC\ActiveMenu\DDCActiveMenu.exe" -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [xwxsx] C:\WINDOWS\xwxsx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2omdpqdg] C:\Program Files\2omdpqdg\2omdpqdg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dinst] C:\WINDOWS\dinst.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinFixer 2005] C:\Program Files\WinFixer 2005\wfx5.exe
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! MLB StatTracker - http://aud3.sports.yahoo.com/java/y/mlbst8296_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/vso/en-us/tools/mcfscan/1,5,0,4285/mcfscan.cab
...................................................................................................
Now click on the Fix Checked button in HJT.

When done, from between the above dotted lines, delete the highlighted bold files.
When a \directory-name\ is bold, delete everything in it, including that directory itself.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

Advice from RealBlackStuff

Thanks for the advice, I moved HJT log as advised. I will have to do the remainder when I return from work. Also need to find out how to boot in safe mode...will check in search.Thanks, Ned

boot into safe mode by repeatedly hitting the "f8" key towards the end of the POST and before windows starts loading.

Or, you can turn off the p[ower to your pc without shutting it down properly, but that REALLY doesn't come all that well recommended.

Hit f8, and pick safe mode from the list :)

reply to RealBlackStuff

Followed your instruction as best I could. I had problems finding these files:
and
When done, from between the above dotted lines, delete the highlighted bold files.
When a \directory-name\ is bold, delete everything in it, including that directory itself.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).

thanks for your help, Ned

ryaned said:
Followed your instruction as best I could. I had problems finding these files:
Which part of UNinstall do you not understand?

ryaned said:
Which part of delete do you not understand?

reply to RealBlackStuff

I have only uninstalled using add/remove in control panel. The problem is more basic, in that I could not find the files you asked me to uninstall or delete. I will try again this evening. Thanks, Ned

In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.

My instructions say: TRY to Uninstall....
If there is no uninstall routine in Add/Remove Programs, there may be an entry in the Start/Programs/program-you-look-for entry. If not, you have tried, so continue...

Reply to RealDarkStuff

I completed all recommendations except uninstalling these files,
as I was unable to find a way to do so. Start Menu now opens and functions,
computer running very slowly with at least a 10 second delay when opening an application etc. and unable to use printer since uninstalling and reinstalling Norton Antivirus 2005. Thanks for your help, Ned

I told you to put HijackThis in e.g C:\Program Files\HJT and NOT in Temp or on the Desktop!
What do I still see: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

As long as you have Norton/Symantec bloatware on your PC, it will ALWAYS be slow.

The baddies are gone.
STOP using Internet Explorer, get Firefox instead!

reply to RealDarkStuff

Thanks for all your help...you taught me alot and I'm appreciative. I will get out of your way- for a while. Ned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back