My system recovery disk tells me that I am using it in the wrong machine.

By Cfing3
Sep 20, 2005
  1. I would like to reformat my hard drive to the original factory settings, but I have had a terrible time of it. My system recovery disk tells me that I am using it in the wrong machine.

My AVG virus protection can no longer check the whole system because it gets to what i think may be 3/4 of the check and then the machine crashes.

It crashes using most programs, I can't figure out how to fix it. None of the registry fixers have worked either. Do I have to buy a new computer?
  2. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

Welcome to Techspot :)

You are sure your recovery disk is the one that came with the machine? And that you have NOT upgraded your machine in motherboard or CPU or any factory parts? Those disks only work with ALL ORIGINAL equipment. With very few exceptions.

If you have your Windows Product key, you can load Windows with a standard disk if you can get your hands on one. But this get's tricky with OEM keys.

So if your recovery disk just won't work. And you can't reload with a standard disk. You can always by a retail OS, I guess XP? And install that. But you won't have any original software like Microsoft Money or Works if it was preloaded.

Anyhow, you have some options. But we need more info on the machine. Can you post what it is? Model? And any specs you can (cpu speed/RAM/hard drive/video/operating system etc...).
    This will aid in figuring out whether it's best to upgrade or replace or find a way to fix.

3. Cfing3

Cfing3 TS Rookie Topic Starter

My Recovery Disk

I did replace the motherboard last year. I did not recieve a new disk with the board. I have purchased a new copy of Windows XP and would like to reset my system. Will I lose all of the peripherals that came with the computer?
    If I have to lose them I have to lose them. Mostly I use the computer for email anyway. I would like to be able to play some games without it crashing in the middle of the game though.
  4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

in computer speak a peripheral is hardware, if that is what you are reffering to then, no you wont lose them. But if you mean applications(software) that came with your computer, then yes they will not be installed as they would with a recovery disk. BUT you should be able to get them off of the recovery disk and install them.
  5. Cfing3

Cfing3 TS Rookie Topic Starter

My system recovery disk den't work

Thanks for that answer. I can't use the system recovery disk because it won't open with this new motherboard.

I have tried to follow the instructions on the installation disk for XP, the machine just keeps crashing. I would like to just erase the hard drive, but I am afraid I would really make the machine completely useless, although as of late it is starting to look more and more like a shot gun target.
  6. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

As an option you could by a hard disc and install windows on to that . Then fit your original drive as a slave, you'll then be able to transfer any data inlcuding address book and e-mail archive.

Iss meant that you should be able to reinstall the original programs after installing XP from the new disc.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.