My Toshiba Laptop Drive Has Fins

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

I need to replace the harddrive on my Toshiba laptop. I noticed the harddrive has what I can only describe as fins instead of traditional pins for connection that I'm familiar with. The pics of the harddrives at Newegg all have pins for connection. Are those compatible with my laptop. Do I need to get an adapter or something?

Also, there is an OEM Seagate drive that Newegg advertises to have 5 years warranty. I thought OEMs don't carry warranties? Is it advisable to buy OEM when it comes to harddrives?

Is this "fin like" thing removable from the hard drive? The hard drive interface is either SATA or PATA and that's it. Laptop manufacturers use various proprietary mounting hardware to secure their hard drives, but it all can be removed leaving the standard PATA or SATA interface. In this instance, OEM simply means no mounting hardware, cables or box included with the drive. Warranties are not different

You can use System Information Viewer to "drill down" to get the details you need about your disk hardware.

Once it starts click Machine then Drives. Click the Copy button anytime to get info to the clipboard so you can paste/use it elsewhere

The old drive is wrapped in aluminum foil. Should I transfer this to the new drive as well? Doesn't that heat up the harddrive? How come other laptops don't have this wrapping if it's important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back