My Welcome Screen Has Gone Missing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I decided to have a go with Style XP. I installed the program using ASHAMPOO UNINSTALLER 2002/2003 just in case I decided to get rid of it. All went well, and I was quite pleased with the program, until I suspected that it was causing a BAD POOL HEADER blue screen on a particular game I like to play (Commandos 2). I promptly uninstalled Style XP using ASHAMPOO.

Now, however, my welcome screen is no more! I can only log in by typing the user name and password and it's vexing me; i like to be able to click on my picture! I have gone into USER ACCOUNTS in Control Panel, and the option to use the welcome screen is still checked! Where has my welcome screen gone?

Any help on this matter will be appreciated as I am getting fed up of having to type my password AND user name just to get into my computer. I have no qualms with editing the registry so long as any instructions are written clearly.

For reference I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2. ASHAMPOO did a completely clean uninstall with no errors or problems. Funnily enough, the new Boot Screen I installed with Style XP is still used, even though Style XP itself is gone. I don't mind keeping the Boot Screen though as it was a good one.

Hi Dude, I'm having the SAME PROBLEM What did you do to solve the problem? typing username and pass in this classic logon is bugging me. HELP

That sucks. Note to self: never use style xp. Well the login screen is compressed into a .dll i do believe, and theres no way it changed that. It changed those settings in the registery. You'll just have to look them up and change them back to their default.

If you want a program like that i used WindowBlinds and it was pretty nice. Theres styles for it everywhere. Even art communities make them like www.deviantart.com Although you'll get bored of it eventually i think like i did :p. It won't do anything like that. It doesn't change login screens or anything it just uses the Themes program built into windows and most likely modifys some things in explorer.exe.

NO, I never used Style XP But I'm having the same problem that this guy had , I had windowblinds but I thought my custom login screen dissappeared because of that So I uninstalled it.

I use Tune UP Utilities to change the logon screens I'm changing screens again and again but its not doing anything, one guy had the same problem and he reinstalled windows, I dont wanna do that. I Downloaded those tweaks from Kellys Korner and runned them 4 times but IT doesn't change that Klassic Prompt

can anyone help?

This is why you dont use programs to mess with the registry. If your going to do it do it manually. Get the file you want your login to be and from the key in registry and change the path to that. What you did that program had your login screen changed and you uninstalled it while it had it changed. You should have returned it to default before uninstalling. So now the registry key for that is set to a file that isnt there.

Like i said, look up where those keys are in the registry and find the default setting for them. You'll most like find it on google this seems to be a common problem.

Like i have the key that directs to explorer.exe set to explorer1.exe which i hex edited to change what the start menu said. But if it ever screws up i can either change the registry or rename the original explorer.exe to explorer1.exe.

ohhhhh i just had a light bulb! There was a issue with ad-aware about what i was just talking about. It finds that key i changed in the registry as an error and would return it to default. Try running it and see if it finds the ones that are screwed up on yours.

I don`t know if this is useful or not -

"So you have to *add a second* *user* to your windows-system (you should
not hide it from the welcome-screen) that's all. According to my tests
all should be back to normal then. (I'd suggest to enter a password for
the additional user, else this is a security-hole.)"

From HERE

I changed logons with TuneUp and I never uninstalled that in my life, I uninstalled Windowblinds ! Does WindowBLINDS Change LogonScreens?

Thanks for the Solution, I'll try that. If it doesnt work then Last stop Reinstall Windows,

SIO NARA

Don't do that yet. Try this:

go to RUN and type "regedit"

Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

In the details pane (right-side), double-click the SCRNSAVE.EXE string value item.

change the value in it to: logon.scr

I think that is the correct key atleast.

The correct key is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Currentversion\Winlogon.

Then change the UIHost setting to c:\windows\system32\logonui.exe.

Nope. You don't know, but everyone has to learn somewhere.

HKLM is a fairly common and standard abbreviation for HKeyLocalMachine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back