My Win 7 Pro PC is having an affair

gbhall

I caught my PC at 5am this morning (when it should have been asleep), with activity going on on the hard disc, although the monitor was still in standby. To the best of my knowledge nothing is scheduled to wake the PC and do something at that time, although if it is updating the antivirus (Avast free) or MSE protection service of some sort, I would not mind.

When I looked as well as I can at system events, the only thing I could find was a reference to C:\program data\microsoft\windows\DRM and system time changed and some reference to Device\netBT_TcpIp where it generated a log which appeared to report trying to get an IP6 connection and failing. I used to have a BT broadband, but no longer do, and never knowingly installed any BT software.

Any one able to suggest how I can find out what is happening, or should I shut down the PC at night, rather than put it into sleep mode as I have always done before?

Last edited:
Here's one idea:
  • Event Id: 7031 Source: MrxSmb -- The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer LAPTOP-PERIPHERAL that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{DA3D5ECC-4A91-. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.
So how many systems are on your Lan? This should only occur when there are two or more and one just disconnected.

There are a number of systems on my Lan - the PC is on permanent connection via ethernet cable. All other connections are via WiFi from the router - two smart TV's and a tablet. Incidentally, the PC also has a wifi card, but that is currently disabled, although the correct driver is installed, and it works if enabled.

Something about what you quote, about the master browser stopping is something I think I have seen in the event log files around the time I mentioned. In the early hours, the TV's will be off, but I may have switched the tablet on briefly to check the coming weather or emails or something. So it looks as if you are absolutely correct, the question now is - do I need to worry about it, why would the PC wake up to receive a service announcement, and does it stay awake very long? I have the PC power settings on automatic sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.

The netBT bit has nothing to do with British Telecom after all?

The netBT bit has nothing to do with British Telecom after all?
Correct - - my first guess would have been Bluetooth :grin:

Here's some info for controlling which device becomes the Master Browser:

Setting the IsDomainMaster parameter entry to True or Yes makes that computer a Preferred Master Browser which has priority over other computers in master browser elections. Whenever a preferred master browser starts, it forces a browser election. Any computer running Windows NT Workstation or Windows NT Server can be configured as a preferred master browser. If no other condition prevents it, the preferred master browser will always win the election. Set the parameter in the following registry path:
  • Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
    Type: REG_SZ
    Name: IsDomainMaster
    Value: True

Back