My Windows copy complains about not being genuine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat4spot

Good to reporte that after you guys helped me out last time i have had no problems, at least none that i couldnt fix fast. lately i am getting a windows that pops up when i start my PC saying that i dont have a valid windows xp software and when i am working on my pc it comes up every now and then. I used hijack and found a windows notify thing on 20, i got rid of it and bingo, gone. The thing is it keeps coming back after a few days or even weeks, i am really getting tired of restarting in safe mode and getting out with hijack, any idea how i can get rid of it permanetly?

thanks, kat

if your version of windows is a genuine version you need to phone microsoft and they will talk you through to correct this nag of theirs. i have looked at your hjt and i cant see anything but then again i am not one of the experts. this nag you are getting isn't anything to do with pc bugs.

Your HJT log is clean.

Run HJT and click on the config button, then the backups button. Look for any 016-DPF entries and place a tick next to any that are from Microsoft or Windows. I.E Windows genuine validation etc. Click the restore button, followed by yes and reboot your system.

See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

Go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com

After the validation fails, you are given the option to update your Windows product key. Follow the on-screen instructions.

howard_hopkinso said:
Your HJT log is clean.

Run HJT and click on the config button, then the backups button. Look for any 016-DPF entries and place a tick next to any that are from Microsoft or Windows. I.E Windows genuine validation etc. Click the restore button, followed by yes and reboot your system.

See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

would disabling these in tools/manage add-ons of explorer 'that are underlined in the quote' have the same effect ?

Cool

Sorry i took so long to reply, i was out of town. Going to try the MS way first and if that wont work going to try the link. I just realized that the notification pops up when my wife is on the PC sometimes, never after i have been on. mmmm going to ckeck and see where she is surfing that might trigger the thing.
Funny couse i am the one that surfs a more dangerously the she does. she just checks her mail and sends homework to a school portal.

Thanks a lot guys, going to let you know what happens.
Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back