My XFX 6600 card !

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnLeashed

I just bought a XFX 6600 card , XXX Edition , 256 MB installed memory , and by using coolbits I viewed my card's clock speeds and discovered :

Core clock : 450 Mhz
Memory clock : 800 Mhz

I read many info about 6600 cards , and not a single piece of information says a 6600 card is on 450/800 , is my card overclocked ? what's the original settings for my card ? Do I leave it this way , or decrease it's speed ?

Am not sure what to do ...

Thanx in advance .

6600.jpg

If it doesn't say 450/800, what DOES it say? Does it say anything? Sometimes they don't say, but don't worry about it. Just leave it at the setting it comes with and you'll be fine.

iNoob said:
If it doesn't say 450/800, what DOES it say? Does it say anything? Sometimes they don't say, but don't worry about it. Just leave it at the setting it comes with and you'll be fine.

Sorry , my bad , I just re-checked XFX's website now and they state it's clocked 450/800 , though am sure I checked it earlier and it didn't include the clock rates , anyhow , I notice that other manufacturers of 6600 chipsets make cards on slower clocks , even XFX has 6600 models with slower clock rates , my question is : Does that mean my card is pre-overclocked , something like a stock BIOS tweak ?

Another question , I heard alot about unlocking pipelines , is this beneficial concerning speed ? does it result in increase heate too like increasing clock rates ? and what's the best way to unlock these pipes ?

Sorry for the long post and too many questions ..

Your card is "pre overclocked" from the factory, so it's faster.

Your card cannot be unlocked. It should have 8 pipes running, and that's all that are on the card. Some 6200's could be turned into 6600's by unlocking 4 disabled pipelines(I have a 6200 and have done this), and it does significantly improve performance. I used rivatuner to unlock it. My card does run a lot hotter unlocked, but I'm not sure why, as it seems no one else has had this problem(that I know of).

lots of companies like to pre-overclock their cards to make them more attractive to customers. BFG, evga, XFX...they all do it...the more pipelines a card has the better performance you will see in gaming. This is very popular in the ATI X800 series. The process is similar to flashing a BIOS. You just need to download a program like rivatuner mentioned above then change a few settings. This is considered overclocking as well since you are changing the factory settings which will of course increase heat.

vnf4ultra said:

that card seams to be oovercloked quite a bit from the factory, a regular 6600 is normailay at 300 core 550 memory

you shouldnt be worrited though becaue XFX overclocked it and it is still under warntee if anythig goes wrong,
your the one benefiting form it

vnf4ultra said:

Your card cannot be unlocked. It should have 8 pipes running, and that's all that are on the card. Some 6200's could be turned into 6600's by unlocking 4 disabled pipelines(I have a 6200 and have done this), and it does significantly improve performance. I used rivatuner to unlock it. My card does run a lot hotter unlocked, but I'm not sure why, as it seems no one else has had this problem(that I know of).

It is natural for this unlocked chips to get hotter, since more transistors are doing "work" when they are enabled.

Thanx alot for the fast responses , I guess am gonna just enjoy the OC factory settings , and the 2 years guarantee too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back