Myspace troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssasinooo

I have been having myspace issues for about a month now. I cannot open it in IE, Firefox, Or Safari. Firfox just says the conenction has been reset, but my internet works fine, or it says that it is unable to connect to the page. IE says a similar message. Safari just says Safari cannot open this page. I have jsut installed safari so there are no logs created that I know of. Firefox has been set back to default settings as well as IE my firewall is allowing all three browsers. Myspace is the only site that does not work. I don't liek to use IE so i'm not worried about getting on with that. I would liek to know if there is anything I can do to get firefox to let me in or safari. All help is greatly appreciated.

thanks and sorry for the millionth time this has probably been asked.

This is the safari error if that helps.
Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page(Page is listen here). The error was: “unknown error” ((null):10054) Please choose Report Bugs to Apple from the Help menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.

You should follow the procedures described in the stickies. If none of the browsers work, your system may have been compromised and MySpace redirected to a phishing page that either doesn't work anymore or is blocked by some firewall.

Hi,

Nothing seems to be wrong with your log. I suspect it is not malware related as you are facing problems with only one site. I'm not well-versed in such affairs; I believe jobeard would be able to help you on this when he sees this.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

(Silent)Assasin said:
I have been having myspace issues for about a month now.
Myspace is an UNTRUSTWORTHY site to say the least -- I would expect problems AND
you are exposed to all kinds of keylogers, trojans and ActiveX intrustions!
I cannot open it in IE, Firefox, Or Safari.
Safari? So you must be on a Macintosh :) What version?

The spread of browsers should clue you into the fact that it is unlikely to be
the browser(s) per se --
this leaves only the network components (nic card, router, modem) OR
the website itself.
Firfox just says the conenction has been reset, but my internet works fine, or it says that it is unable to connect to the page. IE says a similar message. Safari just says Safari cannot open this page.
This is typical of a timeout on a DNS request; recall that an access to
www.foo.com/somepage.html is broken into two separate requests;
1) a dns request to find the ip-address of foo.com
2) a second request for ip-address/somepage.html​
If the dns request fails, then there's no means to make the second request and you get your symptom.
Myspace is the only site that does not work.
see first comment
I don't liek to use IE so i'm not worried about getting on with that. I would liek to know if there is anything I can do to get firefox to let me in or safari.
Well, you've got the right attitude re NOT using IE :)

[edit:]GRRR! Mac doesn't have a cmd prompt! [/edit:]
try this; get a termninal window;
applications->utilities->terminal
access something like www.google.com with any browser
in the terminal window, enter nslookup www.google.com
(you get the ip address as a reply)

now repeat the same two steps for myspace.com
[/edit:]

please report the exact URL(s) you are accessing, in the sequence being used, eg:
www.myspace.com
www.myspace.com/~user/something

which one(s) are failing? ALL?

I'm sorry to say I don't have a mac, safari came out for windows not that long ago. I really like it and do wish I had a mac. ha ha. how woudl I do those steps you mentioned for windows?
[edit:]GRRR! Mac doesn't have a cmd prompt! [/edit:]
try this; get a termninal window;
applications->utilities->terminal
access something like www.google.com with any browser
in the terminal window, enter nslookup www.google.com
(you get the ip address as a reply)

now repeat the same two steps for myspace.com
[/edit:]

Out here in the high mountain desert, they need four of those s letter to spell spell assassin.

yeah I know how it's spelled, ha ha. I was bored and wanted to know if anyone really payed that much attention. so congrats on being the first one to actually saying something about it. now I know there's some intelligent life out there. (not a burn....Realy).

Do you have a software firewall or an advanced router? Some of these come with "smart" web filtering that breaks webpages whenever it feels like. Try disabling any functionality like that. Make sure your browsers and not using a proxy. Set it manually to "no proxy". Make sure you disable any autodetection.

See the \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and make sure there are no internet sites defined in there.

Myspace may be an untrustworthy pile of dung, but it does have tens of millions of users and any site issues should be resolved in a matter of hours.

I just have an advanced router. I will have to check if it has the "Smart" filter. My host files have no websites defined. I also am not running a proxy. thanks for the input I will check my router asap.

It doesn't have to be called "smart" :) Just disable any kind of web filtering.

BTW.. You don't have any security suite or firewall software on your computer? You should!

(Silent)Assasin said:
I did get adresses for both google and myspace. what now? I can go to myspace.com, I just can't login.
Myspace is the only site that does not work​
GRRRR! why didn't you say that to sart with? BIG difference between "working"
or accessing a site and being able to login!

by the way, Connection Rest is the result of conditions or processing on the website,
such as closing the connection.

Can you log in from some other computer somewhere else? Maybe your profile page is so broken that it makes MySpace or the browser hang?

I can login on any other computer not in my house. I think it's somewhere in the firewall in my router. I have not been able to check it just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back