Mystery of the system shutdown.

By Plague
Aug 7, 2004
  1. Ok, so there I am, idly running around the net when suddenly the computer goes down, the monitor goes into standby mode, the mouse/keyboard/gamepad shut down and the cdrom lights up but isn't spinning. To get out of this, I have to power down the system manualy.

After this, it won't start at all unless I reset my surge protector. However.. it's the only thing pluged into the surge protector that won't start before resetting. The monitor, speakers, etc are still working.

This has happened 3 times, all of which I was online.

All the relevant info:
    Athalon 1ghz thunderbird
    512 megs of ram
    80gig HD
    250 watt power supply
    conexant V90 software modem
    Gforce 3 ti500
    SB Live Xgamer.
    belkin surge master 2 surge protector
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

The CD-ROM light would suggest a problem there.

Try running your computer with the CDROM disconnected and see if problems still occur.

Also, installing/reinstalling the latest chipset drivers might help.
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

How about a problem with ACPI or your power supply?

Just some ideas.
  4. Karen_80

Karen_80 TS Rookie

Could a dead/dying cmos battery cause that? Had the same problem at a friend's place - the cmos battery was dead (the system only 3 years old, go figure!), the power supply just about cooked and the cpu fan wasn't running. Replaced them and no more shutdowns.
  5. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,058

I'd lean toward the power supply going out. Seems a bit under-powered for the system.
  6. $oulo

$oulo TS Rookie Posts: 74

I would suggest the same thing. I never actually encountered a cmos battery problem before so I have no idea on that one. Yea it does sound like a power supply issue to me at least.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.