Nanoparticle 'yolk and shell' battery could fully charge a mobile device in six minutes

midian182

Staff member

Researchers at MIT and China’s Tsinghua University have created a “yolk and shell” battery which they believe could be charged from zero to full capacity in only six minutes.

The ‘egg’ batteries are made by creating an electrode consisting of nanoparticles with a titanium dioxide ‘shell’ and an aluminum ‘yolk’ for the anode. The electrodes in existing lithium batteries expand and shrink during each charge, which causes degradation over time. The aluminum filling of the newly designed nanoparticles would allow for increased growth which in turn causes less damage to their shells.

Not only are they more durable, but the new batteries are touted as being able to hold three times the capacity of current lithium-ion batteries found in mobile devices, meaning smartphones, laptops and tablets could go several days without requiring a recharge. Moreover, it’s claimed the lack of severe expand-contract performance degradation will allow the batteries to achieve a full charge within six minutes.

Presently, the batteries are still in the experimental lab stage, but researchers working on the project believe the simple method of construction and relatively low-cost of the materials could result in the invention’s mass commercial production.

“These yolk-shell particles show very impressive performance in lab-scale testing,”said David Lou, an associate professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore,“to me, the most attractive point of this work is that the process appears simple and scalable.”

MIT professor Ju Li said the method behind the construction of the egg and yolk was a “chance discovery”, but one that could eventually see the technology become a rival to the current lithium-ion batteries used today.

Permalink to story.

And you see what can happen when they explode ...
How will they explode?

China’s Tsinghua University
Aside from the sarcasm, "The aluminum filling of the newly designed nanoparticles would allow for increased growth which in turn causes less damage to their shells." which would mean more safer, and not explode.

I know.
It's all rather exciting technology.

Why egg? Does it give off smell of a rotten egg while charging? Usually something discharging does that...

And you see what can happen when they explode ...
How will they explode?

China’s Tsinghua University
Aside from the sarcasm, "The aluminum filling of the newly designed nanoparticles would allow for increased growth which in turn causes less damage to their shells." which would mean more safer, and not explode.
Right, more safer..............SMH

I've heard many research stories like this over the past five or so years, and I have yet to see one come to market. I would certainly love it if they did, but I don't get my hopes up because taking something like this from lab to commercial production is inherently challenging.

As an example, I heard of a Peltier material about three or four years ago that an efficiency of 99% - truly amazing for a Peltier device. However, it seems to have vanished from the face of the Earth since then.

Anything with raw lithium is inherently dangerous if the lithium is exposed to the air, however, this sounds much more safe than present lithium batteries. If you are ever stranded somewhere and you need to start a fire and your cell phone is discharged, if you can find a way to puncture the battery case, you can be sure that it will start a fire for you. But, I highly caution against doing this just to find out what happens - you could get hurt. So, don't say I did not tell you so - you do this at your own risk! :p

Back