Napster 2.0 by the holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Roxio says its revamped online music service, Napster, will debut in time for the holiday season. Roxio is the current owner of the Napster name and plans to make good use of it, the new service, Napster 2.0, will likely debut with the largest legal music catalog in the world with close to half a million songs, Chris Gorog, chief executive of CD-burning software company Roxio, said Monday.

In the other hand, sales expectations for online music have been lowered considerably by industry analysts. RealNetworks, America Online, Amazon.com and potentially even Microsoft are planning to sell digital downloads in the coming months.

Let me see if I have got this straight.... You can download mp3s from the internet with this....

....and they want me to pay for it??

Why on Earth would I do that when I can download Kazaa and get any song that I like (more or less), anytime....????

I think this sort of thing is a step in the right direction, though, to finding something that the RIAA and the P2P community on the net can live with. But we have a long way to go, and whatever this Napster 2.0 is, I will wager that its a pale shadow of what our final solution will be....

Kazaa is obviously illegal (even if recording industry fat ba****** are behind the move against swappers), a legal alternative will be good to have...........

Now, certain DRM rules set to the files, that does get on my nerves, I'm buying music so I can OWN it and do ANYTHING I want with it, as long as it's not illegal, but that should be up to me, after all I'm BUYING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back