NAT not blocking external attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

somekid007

Hi, I'm running a DLink DI-604 with two computers. I have ZoneAlarm on both. I set up trusted zone as 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.101. And Internet zone as 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0. I heard that by performing NAT, the router is supposed to block external attacks right? But, when I run shield's up on GRC, I seem to fail. Anyone here to help me how to setup the router/Zonealarm properly?

What are the failures?

Security is not black and white and some of the "vulnerabilities" in those online checks are just ridiculous.

I ran the ShieldsUP! test and I got this:

Greetings!

Without your knowledge or explicit permission, the Windows networking technology which connects your computer to the Internet may be offering some or all of your computer's data to the entire world at this very moment!

Is this anything to worry about? Or is it just a joke?

That looks like something a popup advertisment would contain.
A proper security scanner will tell you exactly what is wrong.

on my ZA Pro I set 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 (Router) and 192.168.1.100 -192.168.1.103 (PCs) as Trusted Zone. Also you need to set your ZA firewall Internet Zone Security to high and Trusted Zone Security to medium. You're possibly failing to block your Ping from GRC Shields-up. On my Linksys there is a setting to turn off Ping. I think "Block WAN Request:" is the setting. I don't know what settings you have for your router. It's been a couple years since I set it up. Have you done a full port scan? Are all the ports green? ZA Pro should stealth Ident port 113 iirc.

I have a D-Link DI-604, which I can't seem to forbid from Pinging. I did port scan and all ports are either green (stealth) or blue (closed).

EDIT: Ping is not *that* bad is it? I pass all the other test with flying colours.

Nothing wrong with ping. And it is very handy when troubleshooting network issues.

Blocking ping is sort of like leaving the lights on when you leave home to scare off burglars. It may make some kid skip your house but a good thief will see past your trick and all you get is an empty house plus a huge electricity bill :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back