Navcancel-command on every site without visible problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungua

Please see the screenshot to know what I mean.
win98se, iexplore 5.5 - please don't tell me I should shift the versions of os and browser, just post if you know the error and how to solve it. thank you very much!!! :grinthumb

regards,
ungua

Attachments

• navcancel.gif
    navcancel.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 20
you have a lot of IE's open
:D this is just the beginning, see the actual screenshot. I use a rather slow modem and am a fan of multitasking anyway... :cool:
can this be related to my hardware? I have a lot of problems, right. I don't know why... I almost think that I shall really use xp... :dead:

regards,
ungua

Attachments

• poertner1274.gif
    poertner1274.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 12
Ungua: With damaged hardware, all bets are off, you never know what sort of problems it can cause. It's certainly a possibility for you.

I'd suggest upgrading the IE. Not necissarily to 6, but you might get the 5.5 Service Packs. Searching the MSKB seemed to indicate that 5.5 was originally VERY buggy, and the SPs shoulda fixed quite a few random issues.

Might try checking your proxy server settings and your hosts files. MS sometimes handles events caused by those in ways other than you'd expect.

Hope this helps.

Well, I know you are not running Windows XP, so I am going to guess you have Windows 98 (most likely) or possibly 2000.

My first suggestion would be to reinstall Internet Explorer. Although there is no way to do this by conventional means, there are some not-so-commonly-known ways to do this.

First, if you are using Windows 98 you can do the following:
Start / Run /

Type msinfo32 and press Enter .

Click on Tools > IE Repair Tool and hopefully that will repair your IE installation.

If you are using Windows 2000, this may work (although doesn't always).

Start/Run

Type: rundll32.exe setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance

Worst case scenario is you can reinstall IE5.5 from the Internet. This only works properly if you have an older version.

Windows detects your IE version and if it is the same version - Refuses to install. If it does this, I know of a registry trick that can get past this in XP (should work with 2000). Please ONLY attempt this if you feel comfortable working with the registry. Backup recommended!

Start/Run/Regedit [enter]

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\

Then look at the last keys (folders) in this section (should start with a > sign ). Check each of thekeys with > in front of them.. One should contain the ComponentID string with the value "BRANDING.CAB" in the right-side pane.

You will want to delete this whole key (folder) (>{60B49E34-C7CC-11D0-8953-00A0C90347FF}MICROS for example).. But your number will be different, so don't go soley by that. That's just my current number.

You should now be able to install IE5.5 without Windows being able to detect your IE version.

Dang Rick- I didn't know that. That's helpful for me and I didn't even have any stakes in the question!

I'm humbled by your knowledge. :)

Could try clearing your cache and history
done after every single session in windows as well as dos... ;)
thanks for this professional help - i will have a try on this!

regards,
ungua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back