Nearly half of adults surveyed said they couldn't last a day without smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

survey smartphone

There's no denying that smartphones have become an integral part of today's society but for nearly half of those questioned in a recent survey, the device is a downright necessity.

According to a recent survey released by Bank of America, 47 percent of US consumers admit they wouldn't last a day without their smartphone. But just how important is the device compared to other staples of daily life?

Overall, the survey found that 91 percent of respondents said the smartphone is just as important as their car and is significantly more important than coffee and television. Smartphones finished third only behind personal hygiene and the Internet in terms of importance although those aged 18-24 found it more important than deodorant and even their toothbrush.

When asked what they would give up to regain access to their mobile phone, 79 percent said they would readily give up guilty pleasures like alcohol and chocolate. Elsewhere, 79 percent of those surveyed also said they were just as concerned about losing their personal contacts as they are about identity / security information.

As you may have guessed coming from Bank of America, the survey also asked several questions as it relates to mobile banking. In this area, 62 percent of US consumers said they've tried mobile banking and 47 percent said they prefer to bank online versus going to a local branch. As such, 16 percent of people said they haven't even visited a bank branch within the past six months.

Permalink to story.

Let's contemplate on the whole list of the necessities:

1. Mobile phone
2. Internet
3. Food & Water
4. Toilet paper
5. Accommodation
6. etc...

P.S. Not that I am an insider or anything, but I work in Bank of America :)

Eh, as a techie, I could see it being easy to part with my electronics for a day.
As long as I have something else to do to fill the time that they would take up, it wouldn't annoy me. But if it was unexpected and I don't have much else to do (or if I am expecting that device to be used in a productive way), then I would be annoyed. I could certainly "last a day", but would be annoyed...

I wouldn't miss my smartphone at all, but I would definitely have trouble without a mobile phone of some kind these days. The only reason I even have a smartphone is because I can't get reliable internet where I live.

I'd like to see the breakdown by ages on this survey. They did mention the 18-24 group who would give their own blood before losing their smartphone and that's no surprise. But I'll bet dollars to donuts, as the age group rises, the amount of people who can't live without it - even for a single day - drops considerably.

Seriously? I'm 18, supposed to be one of them youths with their fancy phones, and I haven't touched my phone in 4 days. No, I tell a lie. I used it to watch a youtube video of one foot in the grave last night. So 3 days.

As a wise man (Karl Pilkington) once said, "We've invented everything we need. We're now just in the messing about era."

I mainly use my phone for chatting at work and for watching pron, lets not forget the good actual uses like calling and texting which I dont use xD

These things are a addiction once you start using them it really is difficult to let go but saying won't last a day without 'em is too much.

What a sad, sad, commentary this headline provides. Do you see where using a smart phone could easily be likened to Alice falling down the rabbit hole?

You forgot the most important two,

Credit cards
Coke (as in cocaine)
Well, credit cards are indispensable.

But, coke, crack, and meth, are fairly easy to get over. It's that damned heroine that's really hard to kick.

Harder than going without a smartphone? I doubt it! lol
Well, it would be easier to do without the phone, physically speaking. As a little experiment try putting your phone down for a few hours. I bet you won't start puking your guts out, and wanting to die. (With the possible exception that maybe some hard core iPhone users would. Let's call them, "Apple addicts").

With that said there's a zen relationship involved.

Your mouth asking for drugs, to the dealer's ear who's going to sell you the smack. And yes, more often than not, a mobile phone establishes that connection.

I guess you might say, ""the arm, the needle, the phone, and the snow storm all all one".:eek:

Here, enjoy "The Strawbs" parodying Homer's "Iliad", as a testimonial to the horrors of heroin addiction, with "Hero and Heroine".

For additional research, look up, "Chestnut Mare" by the Byrds. Note that, "horse" is another euphemism for heroin.

And to stay, "on topic", Roger McGuinn, (formerly of the Byrds), unleashes a condemnation against talking on the phone while driving in, "Car Phone". (from the "Back from Rio album).

So, while many adults, "couldn't live without their smart phone", many have died from it as well...:D

Last edited:
What a sad, sad, commentary this headline provides. Do you see where using a smart phone could easily be likened to Alice falling down the rabbit hole?

Well, credit cards are indispensable.

But, coke, crack, and meth, are fairly easy to get over. It's that damned heroine that's really hard to kick.

Well, you know, if you don't want to leave a paper trail, or if you never get caught, you know, I think paying for things is overrated!

Well, you know, if you don't want to leave a paper trail, or if you never get caught, you know, I think paying for things is overrated!

Oh goodie, just what Techspot needed, another juvenile delinquent.

I think paying for sex is overrated. And that, other than my rather blatant misanthropy, is why I'm a bachelor.

Captaincranky, "but I already have a dish washer hon, you"! Ex partner to be named later, "that does it, no nookie for you for a year".

Last edited:
"Overall, the survey found that 91 percent of respondents said the smartphone is just as important as their car and is significantly more important than coffee and television. Smartphones finished third only behind personal hygiene and the Internet in terms of importance although those aged 18-24 found it more important than deodorant and even their toothbrush.

When asked what they would give up to regain access to their mobile phone, 79 percent said they would readily give up guilty pleasures like alcohol and chocolate. Elsewhere, 79 percent of those surveyed also said they were just as concerned about losing their personal contacts as they are about identity / security information."

On the up side, this is a huge competitive advantage for those of us who use surplus time for skill acquisition and achievement. Play with your smartphone, kiddies, while the rest of us win the only game that matters.

...[ ]....When asked what they would give up to regain access to their mobile phone, 79 percent said they would readily give up guilty pleasures like alcohol and chocolate. Elsewhere, 79 percent of those surveyed also said they were just as concerned about losing their personal contacts as they are about identity / security information."...[ ].....
I predict that 2 or 3 generations hence, the human race will be so inbred, we'll have to be fed by IV, and sustained on a respirator.

"I bet you won't start puking your guts out, and wanting to die. (With the possible exception that maybe some hard core iPhone users would. Let's call them, "Apple addicts")."

LOL

I have used a smart phone for the past two years and there is no way I would want to go back to an old fashion phone. Ironically the least used function for my smart phone is phoning people. I rarely download games and don't use any social networking apps.

However I am addicted to real time information on certain internet sites. As you may have figured out from my user name I do have an interest in railways and I like to know the times of unusual trains so I can get photographs or videos (videos are all recorded on my smart phone). A smart phone is very convenient when you are on the move.

Here, enjoy "The Strawbs" parodying Homer's "Iliad", as a testimonial to the horrors of heroin addiction, with "Hero and Heroine".
Thanks Captaincranky I enjoyed watching the video of The Stawbs. I had no idea they were referring to drugs as I tend to focus on the music rather than lyrics. Anyway you managed to take me back to my childhood.

There are those that are OCD over cell phone usage - - you know - - those that will say, "excuse me, I have to take this text message". Also those that still need to text while eating out with friends.

Here in Los Angeles, there is a restaurant where the owner gives an immediate discount if ALL parties at the table will surrender their phones while eating dinner. IMO that's a great idea.

OGM, who's the master and who's the slave?

Back