Need a laptop for school with some light gaming capabilities

Atham

Hey,

I am looking to get a laptop for school (Microsoft office, emails, etc...) but also to have some gaming capabilities, most importantly to run Dota 2 1080p @60 FPS (the only game I really care about on this laptop).

The budget is about 700€-900€, but it is quite variable, as I can go higher if it is really worth it.

Thanks in advance,

~Atham

EDIT: www.heureka.sk is what you can search with, but you can just tell me which product and I will search it.

Last edited:
1080p? On your laptop screen, or on an external screen? And wow 60fps is gonna be pushing it.

1080p for the laptop screen. The game I am solely interested for this laptop is dota 2. No other gaming.

Doing the conversion from Euro to US dollars it comes out to roughly be $900 to $1150. As for getting 60 fps in Dota 2, that should not be too hard to do (but don't quote me on that).
Check out this one from Newegg.com: Asus ROG G56JK-EB72 Gaming Laptop - This one features a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 2GB graphics card. Looking into that card - it has been proven to provide (on average) of 66 fps for Dota 2 @ 1920x1080 resolution. The US listed price is $1049 which converts over to 794.75€. It may be a little more to a little less depending on where you are and how much shipping charges would be. If you prefer to get it somewhere else, it should still be around the same price.
Or this one from Tigerdirect.com: Lenovo Y50 - which has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M and provides on average 77 fps with Dota 2 @ 1920x1080 resolution. US price listed $1099.99 - Euro conversion 833.70€.
You do have options, just have to pick one that fits your needs and likes. I would suggest getting one with a bare minimum of a NVIDIA GeForce 850M or higher.

I have been looking at laptops with the gtx 850M. Are there any Toshiba laptops with the GTX850M, since I can get a discount on them. I can't seem to find the asus laptop you mentioned.

So how about this laptop: Lenovo ideapad y50. The website says that it has a 860mm, I am assuming that is the 860M. How about the CPU?
I read that the screen isn't too good on this lenovo y50.

BTW, what is the difference between these two: One and two
EDIT 2: Scratch that. One has an OS and the other doesn't.

Last edited:
I have been looking at laptops with the gtx 850M. Are there any Toshiba laptops with the GTX850M, since I can get a discount on them. I can't seem to find the asus laptop you mentioned.

So how about this laptop: Lenovo ideapad y50. The website says that it has a 860mm, I am assuming that is the 860M. How about the CPU?
I read that the screen isn't too good on this lenovo y50.

BTW, what is the difference between these two: One and two
EDIT 2: Scratch that. One has an OS and the other doesn't.
When it comes to mobile gaming, generally speaking get the best GPU you can first then worry about the processor second. Generally speaking the processors they come with are more than enough. The i5 in the Lenovo is enough for an 860m and will give you better FPS than an i7 and an 850m.

Lenovo make decent gaming laptops actually, the Y50 series are pretty good value when you get right down to it.

My laptop is a Gateway NV52L series. Most people are disgusted when I tell them I have a Gateway, but I have not had one problem with it. It has AMD A8 4-core processor with Radeon graphics. I am able to triple screen and do regularly with it. I also run Dota 2 at 1080p on one of those screens and have no lag whatsoever. Only complaint is the WiFi card is not the fastest, but if your playing dota, you will obviously be using Ethernet cable. I highly recommend, and it looks cool.

Back