Need a router

mako man

I need to replace my wireless router. I'm looking for a good quality gaming router with gigabyte and N version. Any input would be appreciated. TY

We install about three to five a day. We find the ASUS to work perfectly, and is extremely reliable.
Nothing wrong with a newer Linksys either. Avoid D-Link due to their new policies.

The most important idea is to have something your tech support people of your ethernet provider is comfortable in helping over the telephone if there is trouble.

ASUS 300MPS RTN12, Netgear WNR2000, LinkSys /E1000 WRT160ML, Buffalo NFinity WHR-HP-G300N

Just about any Linksys or ASUS with 300MPS

Thanks Ray.

I was considering the following:

1). Linksys WRT320N

2). Linksys E-3000

3). Netgear WNDR37AV

4). Belkin max Play

5). Linksys WRT610N

Any of these in your choices?

Thanks

Of the ones you list, I would get the LinkSys WRT610N, or drop down to the WRT320N... and avoid the E-3000

All are OK, with a few of my quirkey opinions...

Check with your provider... their techs will have some horror stories about certain LinkSys and certain DLink. Not many will suppor a Belkin in our part of the world.

The only Belkin I would consider is the Belkin N+
The Belkin Max Play is good for the first six months, then too many have problems. When we tear Belkins models down, we find they don't always have the same components and are made in different countries.

The Cisco LinkSys E-3000 isn't nearly what the Cisco Valet Plus is... for being in the same price range... Linksys has had trouble with that new hardware look lately... It has reported failures of media NAS Performance. Of any of the reasonably priced Linksys, I like the Valet Plus despite its dumber model name.

The older Cisco LinkSys are generally terrific. But if your budget allows, get a Cisco instead of what has become their current loss leaders, LinkSys.

I would also add the

D-Link DIR 615 N300 as one of the more rugged I have seen... very few failures.

Other D-Links are good, but their web site has turned sour on older models

Do not ignore the superb

ASUS RT-N16, 300 mbps... despite its high price, we have never installed routers we were more enthused about.. It is in the $83 to $109 price range on eBay and some stores, but all our clients are very happy. Very easy to install, and forget about.

Also, at a lower price
ASUS WL-526gU and 520gC The gU is superb for the lower priced range.

We once did some research on Wireless Routers, and now have a list of over 1400 models... so a lot of it has to do with Marketing.

We'll be interested in learning which one you install

Toss up when it comes to wireless routers today. I am testing out the N600 Dual Band 2.4/5G TEW-673GRU and the N450 by Trendnet TEW-691GR it has some neat I/D features that come as close to WNDR3700/AV, TEW-673GRU and ESR-9850. If you wan to save save money get ESR-9850 by Senao International also known as EnGenius. Wireless in that device is very strong. Add some TP-LINK 5dBI and then it can kick something. Both ESR-9850 and TEW-691GR both have Hardware NAT without blocking or causing bottlenecking when you need to send I/D I/O. Other routers start to choke or become sluggish when large number of packets are access.

TEW-673GRU is another expensive device it has LCD panel, it sports WNPU 680MHz High Performance Chip with 32KB Cache for instructin and 32KB for Data and 64MB of DDR2 RAM. It has PCI Gig Controller with 832KB packet buffer. 2x 3dBi SMA ANT gives you 2T/2R @ 150mbps / 300mbps Dual band 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n and 5G 802.11a/n

TEW-691GR is expensive it sports WNPU 500MHz High Performance Chip with 64KB Cache for Instructions and 32KB Cache for Data and 64MB of DDR2 RAM. It has PCIe Gig Controller with 512KB packet buffer. Hardware Network NAT with frame engine this one is really better. It has 3x 4dBi Fixed ANT gives you 3T/3R @ 450mbps/450mbps 802.11b/g/n @ 2.4GHz

ESR-9850 sports WNPU 384MHz Fast Performance Chip with 16KB Cache for Instructions and 32KB Cache for data and 32MB of Dual 16MB DDR RAM. It has PCI Gig Controller with 832KB packet Buffer. Hardware Network Engine NAT (no choking packets) 2x 2dBi SMA ANT you can upgrade like with TEW-673GRU. 802.11b/g/n @ 2.4GHz

Anyway both are near Gig router to LAN to LAN where was the other brands are stuck with 200 to 400mbps under Gig Ports.

My review on all 3 can be found here

If your more interested in Wireless side then the ESR-9850 is the best bet.

Please use the edit button to add to your post rather than multiple consecutive posts

Thanks for the responses. I see I have many choices, but when i read reviews I get very concerned due to the negativity on all the routers. This is becoming more difficult than building a system.

The Trendnet TEW 691 GR looks very interesting except for no reviews on New Egg.

Does Trendnet have a good tech service that guides you through the setup proceedure? A real live person? This is important to me. Linksys has always been there for me when I had a problem.

I need to get a router in the next three days. This router has to work one wired computer, two laptops one of which is my sons for gaming, and my sons Xbox live. Just looking for speed, no bottle necking, and a good custoomer service.

Thanks again

I just called Trend net support, and tech support said the router is warrantied for five years and tech support is free for five years. I'm really leaning toward this router.

Ray what do you think of the Trend net router? (TEW 691GR)

A little more research and the TEW 691GR doesn't have a usb port and it wont go wireless on a 5 ghz frequency.

Starting again.

I selected the Linksys WRT610N. I will submit my experience with this router in the near future for other members that may be in the market for a router.

Back