need a solution to lag problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo776

hello everyone,

i have made another thread stating one of these problems...just that was with my old hardware.

Now that ive pulled this pc from its hiding, ive changed all it's guts to a more slower solution, just mainly the hard drive, graphics card, and power supply (<-- psu wouldnt be causing it anyway).

These are the factors that are DEFINETLY not causing it:

1. Not enough power
2. Overheating
3. Old hardware issues (ive tried the hdd, graphics and psu all in different mobos and worked fine -not that a psu would do something to cause lag)
4. Windows or any OS
5. Drivers (if it ain't broke, don't fix it, even though i still do)
6. Hard Drive
7. Graphics Card

I've had this problem for nearly a full year, and when i take it to a shop, they never get the problem. It seems to only occur when I'm doing something in additon to doing something else.

I,E: Winamp running and starting up Steam Client or MSN Messenger.

What bugs me the most is that its not a game lag (this would be fine) but more of a global lag, affecting Windows GUI and gaming or mulltimedia and utility programs. I don't think this happens in the BIOS or in DOS, but I know for a fact, whatever windows i put on, it will still lag, even during installation process.

After a while thinking it could be the motherboard...I have maybe come to the conclusion that it may be my actual CPU causing it (I have a AMD Athlon XP 2800+)...but I'm not so sure about this.

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-7VT400N Pro2 Rev.2.0 NForce 2 i think.

Please help as fast as you can, as I need this pc in tip-top shape by this weekend.

As I've said, it suffers from extreme lag in Windows when not doing anything, and can also be heard by an audio lag as well, as songs stutter, so do videos, and whatnot.

Thanks in advance,
Neo776

SYSTEM SPECS:
Gigabyte Nforce 2 Pro 2 mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
IBM 30GB hDD
52x32x52
768MB DDR-400 RAM
Sparkle GeForce 4 MX 4000 128MB
Onboard sound/LAN

How much space is left on the harddisk? A full disk will slow you down.
Is the file system FAT32 or NTFS?
When did you last do a full chkdsk and defrag?
Is DMA enabled? (check in the System/Device Manager, under IDE ATAPI Controller)
Your mobo might not support such fast RAM, try 512MB of either PC2100 or PC2700 (my best guess).

Your mobo does not exist, wrong type I guess.

around 25gb. file system is NTFS. Last dskchk and defrag was before a clean windows installation.

Under DMA settings/Primary Settings there is a whole list of them:
MASTER------------------------------------------
Current Transfer Mode:
---------------------- |
Ultra DMA 5 - Ultra100
---------------------- |
Enable Write Cache [Ticked}

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
--------------------------------------------
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SELECT TRANSFER MODE (DROP DOWN MENU):
------------------------------------- |
BIOS Default [DEFAULT SETTING]
UltraDMA 5 - Ultra 100
UltraDMA 4 - Ultra 66
UltraDMA 3 - Ultra 50
UltraDMA 2 - Ultra 33
UltraDMA 1 - Ultra 25
UltraDMA 0 - Ultra 16
Multi-word DMA 2
Multi-word DMA 1
Multi-word DMA 0
PIO Mode
--------------------------------------|

^^ Hopefully the above will be self-explantory.

My mobo supports DDR-400 RAM, as stated in the box.

EDIT: I think i got my mobo model wrong, its this one http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x).htm

Thanks in advance,
Neo776

Not sure how your mobo handles Dual Channel memory. This may only work when inserted as PAIRS of memory, not single chips. If your memory is 3 x 256MB, take one module out and see if that improves.
Or borrow 2 equal memory chips from a friend to try out.

No, ive tried this, and it seems to work the same either with dual channel, as before i had a single 512mb ddr stick, and bought another one, exacly the same and same thing, just a little more smooth.

Could it be in some way the cpu? I doubt it though.

Thanks in advance.

The only other thing I can suggest would be to go into BIOS and install the 'Optimal' or 'Best' settings. It could be a timing setting for your memory (normally set to 'by SPD').

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back