Need a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mako man

I have an old computer which my son uses to play various games. The video card is old and most games are very slow. I would like to help him out with a faster video card that would work better, but not bog down with the older CPU. Can you please recommend a good video card that would work in this old system.

System as follows:

Intel pentium 3.4 ghz
2 gb ram
Nividia GE Force 7300gs 512mb pcie
9.0 Direct X
XP Pro
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250gb hard drive
450 watt power supply
Intel motherboard D945P5N? LGA775

The existing video card is plugged into the motherboard, and there are no wires connected to the card.

Thank you

The HD 4670 is your safest bet, since it doesn't need a power connector and packs performance almost equal to that of the 9600GT. It should be a very significant upgrade from the current card.

They system is actually pretty well rounded, as in the cpu is weak along with the gpu.
I would personally recommend upgrading both, as it is within your motherboard's capabilities.

450 watt power supply
Can you elaborate with amperage and brand?

What type of games? Cpu intensive games may not improve too much with a new card.

Thanks guys

Rage which HD 4670 card from NewEgg do you recommend? MSI?

The power supply is manufactured by L&C model #LCF460BTX

PSU=12V1=14A, and +12V2=16A reads on the power supply

I recommend XFX for their excellent warranty coverage. Next up would be Visiontek. Both offer lifetime warranties provided you register the card within 30 days of purchase, with the XFX warranty also covering anyone you sell the card to later.

The next best would be Sapphire and HIS. Not bad manufacturers by a long shot, but they offer only two year warranties.

Yes, well, unfortunately I think availability is a problem. The Visiontek cards that are available are selling for 4770 prices. In that case, an HIS or Sapphire card would be fine IMO.

Thanks for all responses.

Rage would you recommend a 1 GB card or a 512 GB card?

Have a good weekend....

512MB will be plenty. 1GB wouldn't help unless you were to run games at 1920x1200 or higher, which is possible with the card, but only on some games.

heh thats his older computer that he lets his son play on? sheesh thats better then my current system until i get this new one assembled in a couple weeks

its likely his son's games are slow because his video and audio settings are too high.

on my system, which has failing RAM and a FX5500 video card can play Halo and Counter Strike just fine on low settings.

For the sake of instant gratification, try lowering the settings a bit before you get the new video card.

a 450w PSU should be fine, but it'd probablt be best to upgrade to 550w

In my opinion, a computer should be updated with the newest parts every year or so. The only reason I don't update my PC is because I don't have a job(which is hard to find in this economy here in the united states), or any money.

Anyways, keep your computer up-to-date, make sure to update drivers for all of your hardware(which is free from almost any manufacturer on their website), and keep your anti virus software up to date(just throwing it out there)

Also, a bit of a tip: make sure to replace your PSU every 3 years at least, because its better to have a nice new fresh one instead of yours fyring and taking the whole computer with you.

thanks, sw123 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back