Need a Windows 98 cd to boot up XP?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindy

I wonder if anyone knows why I would have to have a Win98 cd to run WinXP? If the cd is not in the drive it just reads "No Boot Diskette" or something like that... But when the disk is in it gives 2 options 1. Boot from Hard Drive 2. Boot from CD. Upon selecting option 1 the computer boots up windows XP. There is nothing wrong with windows XP aside from the boot process. After it is booted up I can take out that cd and use others... But if it is possible to fix this problem it would be wonderful!

Put in your Windows XP CD and boot to the Recovery Console. From there run the commands "fixmbr" and "fixboot". Exit.

How do I boot to the Recovery Console? And when typing in the commands do I need to add the " "?
Thanks so much in advance for your help

This is the information on the link provided... but I have to start up with a 98 cd and when I try to press F10 or R nothing happens, I don't get a windows setup window, windows just starts up.

Starting the Windows Recovery Console
To start the Windows Recovery Console, use one of the following methods: • Use the Windows Setup floppy disks or the Windows CD-ROM to start your computer. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press 'R" to repair.

Which part of the "Put in your Windows XP CD" or "Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console" is unclear? :p

If you don't have a Windows XP CD, use the setup floppies.

The part that says "At the setup window type F10 or R" because I don't get a setup window... windows just boots up after I put the win 98 cd in. If I try to boot up with WinXP I get the "No Boot Diskette" error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back