Need advice. Are there viruses that can't be found by latest scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil_ski

Hello all
I brought my Toshiba Sattelite in to Best Buy because it has been shutting down unanounced in two different ways. It has the Celeron, and it about 3 years old.
1. With power hooked up while it's downloading or scanning.
2. While running on the battery, it shuts down unannounced. Then after hooking up the power pack and reawaking it, I FINALLY get a low batt warning.
I bought the service contract for it so I thought I'b bring it in.
The guy looked at it and said I needed the following-
1. Virus removal, $39. He claimed there were some viruses that were "hard to extract". I told him that I had just done a Norton scan (with laest updates), and an Adaware scan and they both found nothing.

Are there viruses that cannot be extracted with a scanner?? Is he flim flamming me? He listed the viruses - exdl0, exul, exezbin, and msexreg. (his writing was hard to read, like mine.)

2. spyware removal, $39. I have Adaware and CW Schredder and I had just scanned it the day before. It found some things and I deleted them.
3. System optimizer $29.
That plus other stuff would cost $146. Ugh!

I have the feeling that he was padding the bill. When I asked if this would fix the shutdown problem, he didn't say yes. More like something in all this proposed work would fix it. Who know what though??

From previous info from this forum, I'm going to-
try to blow out the dust on the processor, check for Toshiba, Windows updates, Check to see if I'm running two firewalls at the same time.
And I'm ordering a new battery. (covered by contract)
Can anyone help me out with this? If theses viruses and spyware exist, is there a good way to remove them manually?
Thanks in advance
Neil

Ha ha I started that thread!
I just went through all the posts yesterday and gathered all the advice so I can try it all.

You probably have the Bullseye pest on your PC.
Go to my post here and follow the instructions EXACTLY.
How to remove Begin2Search / Coolwebsearch
Then post a HJT-log with a .txt extension as an attachment.
Loads of the newer buggers still manage to creep through AV and Firewall, but with help of the programs in that post we'll get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back