Need advice choosing a power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hello again!

Since I've upgraded my system sometime ago, I think I need a new power supply. My current PSU is a FSP ATX300-PA with 31A on the 12V rail. But I feel it needs to be changed, because it has only 300W. This is the system I want to power up:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice overclocked to 3500+ speeds (2200 MHZ)
Powercolor Radeon X800GTO (400 core, 980 RAM)
1 GB Corsair Value Select Dual channel RAM
A single, 80 GB WD SATA Drive
1 DVD-RW drive
Integrated sound card
3 fans

I really think this system can be easily powered by a quality, 400W PSU. I don't intend to upgrade the system in an very long time, because this rig is powerful enough to me.
I'm looking at these two power supplies:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104952

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

They seem to be good. As you can see, I can't spend too much on a PSU, because I'm looking forward to get a LCD.
The first PSU seems to have more amps on the 12V rail than the second one, so I'm starting to like it.
Any thoughs? Thanks! :wave:

The second one has a 120mm fan. It will be quieter. I have a FSP 450 that looks just like it. Right now it's powering my rig in my profile and sig.

I don't mind about the noise. Right now I have the 300W version of the same PSU. It's damn quiet. The first should be as quiet as my current one.
Is that PSU a good buy?

I forgot to mention that my case has good airflow inside it, 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust, so I don't need a 120mm fan on the PSU.

I wouldn't use anything less than 450W on newer systems.

Tom's hardware frequently tests and rates PSUs and other components.

Since I upgraded my mobo and video card I have been afraid to overclock much with my FSP 450. With my 540 at 3.4 I've had no problems. I just tired it at 3.8 like I have almost always kept it at and it's no good. It reboots in 3DMark06. It's back to stock and I need a new PSU. :( A E6700 may just fix it too, but it's still to close for comfort.

It's kind of dumb to run a x1900xt with a $50 PSU. :hotbounce

wolfram said:
My current PSU is a FSP ATX300-PA with 31A on the 12V rail. But I feel it needs to be changed, because it has only 300W
unless i got the specs wrong, you have two 16A rails, for a total of 32A. but that's still a powerful PSU. and FSP (fortron source) makes decent PSUs. unless you're experiencing any problems with it, I see no reason why you need an upgrade. the wattage is low, but it has sufficient amperage. also, that PSU has good protection circuitry according to the specs that I saw.

Of course there is no harm in upgrading your PSU, but it doesn't look like you need to.

cheers :)

KingCody said:
unless i got the specs wrong, you have two 16A rails, for a total of 32A. but that's still a powerful PSU. and FSP (fortron source) makes decent PSUs. unless you're experiencing any problems with it, I see no reason why you need an upgrade. the wattage is low, but it has sufficient amperage. also, that PSU has good protection circuitry according to the specs that I saw.

Of course there is no harm in upgrading your PSU, but it doesn't look like you need to.

cheers :)

I'm sorry for the wrong specs :blush: I was close at least :)
In other old thread I made before, DonNagual said that my PSU would be working at its max while running a game. I'm not having any problem yet, but as time passes, the PSU will get older, and from what I heard, they start to lose their wattage, and experiment some capacitor aging.
Right now, it's working fine, but who knows if it will work fine in a few months.

Also, a new 400W PSU has even more amps on the 12V rail. I especially like the ATX400-PA, because it has a single, 80mm fan, instead of a 120mm fan.

That's what I think. If anyone wants to add some info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

KingCody is right.

If you are having zero issues and are not planning to add any power hogs to the system leave it as is. If it was and is working fine then it should keep on working fine. (crosses fingers against M$ gremlins)

By to looks of it you are moving from the realm of need to the realm of wana ;)

There is nothing stopping you from getting a more powerful supply except cash.

that is pretty cheap (if it is indeed a good PSU). what power supply did you end up buying?

the "NEW PSU" link doesn't work (for me at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back