TechSpot

Need advice cooling several PC parts......

By wolfram
Jun 21, 2006
  1. Hi everyone!

We`re in summer, and the PC temps are sky high...

I`m trying to cool down my my Powercolor X800GTO card, and my case temp.

THIS IS MY POWERCOLOR CARD

Can you help me to find a good cooler that fits the card?

Regarding the case temp, it`s currently 42º. Somewhat high.
    I have 2 exhaust fans, 1 is below the PSU, and one in on top of the case.
    Both exhaust hot air, but it seems it isn`t enough.
    Any suggestions to cool my system down?

PD. Ambient temp here in Mexico is 103º F :hotbounce :hotouch:

2. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +8

103F...ouch!

your case temps are fine. 42C = 107F which is not much more than your ambient air temp. that's about as good as you're going to get where you live.

3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,967   +9

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, it`s VERY DAMN hot here in Cd. Juarez!

I guess the temps are "fine", but I would prefer to lower them a bit. I sounds a little impossible, because my room temp is currently 92º F!!

I`m a bit worried about my video card. I heard they run hotter than the CPU`s, so I`m trying to decide for this cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186129

I just wonder if this is better than the stock cooler, and it it will fit in my card....

4. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

Wow thats hot not just for the PC but for you too!! I am surprised the PC is not running hotter than that! At work we have 4 IBM Think Centre's set in theft proof cases out in the warehouse. The temp out there is around 95 right now. I mounted fans in the cabinet itself to help cool the PC's. 1 side intake, the opposite side exhaust. So there is 2 fans per case. The PC's stay probably only 8 to 10 degrees cooler this way.

5. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +8

yes, they run alot hotter than the CPU, but they also have a much higher heat tolerance than CPUs do.

when a CPU hits 55c it's time to start worrying, when a GPU hits 55c it's time to celebrate ;)

about that arctic cooler, i couldn't tell you if it will fit or not, but you can't beat that price! (but newegg doesn't ship to mexico :()

6. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,967   +9

Thanks for your responses!

Fortunately, I can recieve packages from Newegg.com in El Paso, TX!

Well, I`ll try to contact Arctic cooling and ask them directly.

Too bad my card doesn`t have a temp sensor built-in. Anyway, the card should be cooler using the aftermarket cooler, because stock coolers are crap.

I`ll see what happens...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.