Need advice in TV tuners!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'd like to watch TV on my laptop (with XP Pro) but I don't know where to start from.
I've figured I'm gonna need a TV tuner but what else, I have no idea (probably remote but that's the last)!
Can anyone suggest me which brand of tuner should I get for not too much money, also what other acceccories I need to have?
Thank you!

It would help if you at least say in what part of the world you live!
The way to go now is for a digital TV-tuner.
As you have a laptop, you need an external tuner.
Look at DigiTV USB from www.nebula-electronics.com
Not a well-known company, but an excellent product.

No idea if that works in the USA

Thank you!
This TV walker seems great, I only don't know if I have all these on my laptop:

Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 2.0GHz or higher required, P4 2.4GHz recommended
256MB of system memory (512MB recommended)
Windows 2000/XP 100 MB required for software installation, additional space required for recording or TimeShifting (I dont want to record)
VGA chipset with full support for DirectX 9.0
DirectX 9.0c or higher installed
AC 97 compatible sound device for audio playback
Available USB 2.0 port
Antenna/cable TV connection

The rest of them,not highlighted, I am not sure if I have them. I have a Compaq.
I don't know either how to purchase the tuner.
Is this that difficult..seem like, I thought I only have to buy the tuner, a software and that's it. How do I know if I have usb2?

Look at the model number of your Compaq, then go to HP website and punch that in the support section to get all the specifications for your machine, including USB type.

If you have a Pentium 4 then it will do just fine. You can see the amount of RAM you have when you right click My Computer and select properties. You certainly have all the rest (VGA, sound, DirectX). And the portable antenna comes with the device itself..

Hi, thank you again!
Well, I dont mean to be too dumb, but these technical things dont mean anything to me, I dont know what to look at..
I know I have 2 USB port..But I am not sure if it's USB2.
Would you take a look? http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11077_na/11077_na.HTML
I don't have any new hardware or anything eversince I bought it 3 years ago (SP2, of course, but I am not sure about the DirectX and dont know how to download it, I have no internet connection to it)

Thank you so much again!

Wow.. Took me some time to find the part in the manuals, but yes, those USB ports are 2.0 compatible.

Don't worry about the DirectX. If you have Windows XP SP2 then you already have the needed version. If not, you can get the latest DX9 from Windows Update or Microsoft website. There is a version that can be downloaded to a CD and installed without internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back