TechSpot

Need advice on new LCD monitor purchase

By Shoupie080
Jan 3, 2007
  1. Hello,

I'm going to purchase a new monitor since my 15'' crt is pretty out of date. I love to game a lot which is pretty much the only thing I use my computer for so I want to make sure the monitor I get will be good for Counter Strike Source. I hear that CRTS are naturally better for gaming but I doubt that since they're obsolete now-a-days...any advice???

Also, my video card is a Radeon X1900XT if that is a factor

Ok here's the specs on the monitor I want:

Display Type TFT Active Matrix
    Viewable Screen Size 22 inches
    Display Area 473 x 296 mm
    Maximum Refresh Rate 60Hz
    Input Video Signal DVI-D
    VGA (15-Pin D-Sub)
    Contrast Ratio 800:1
    Response Time 5 ms
    Maximum Resolution 1680 x 1050
    Cabinet Color Silver
    VESA Mounting Compliant VESA 100mm
    Unit Dimensions (WxHxD) 20.2" x 16.0" x 7.8"
    Unit Weight 5.4 kg
    Power Consumption 44W

This monitor is currently on sale on tigerdirect so here's the link if you need more information:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2549197&Sku=A179-2210

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

That looks pretty good. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with that monitor. It's surely way better than your current CRT :)

3. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

Agreed. Where have you been wolfram, I haven't seen you post in awhile... maybe I'm just looking in the wrong section of the forums?

4. gamingmage

gamingmage TS Rookie Posts: 64

pretty good monitor I personally chose a 19" with a 2ms response time so i would be sure to get no ghosting here it is from newegg and it has dropped a lot in price my guess is from increase in manufacturing, either way i couldn't be happier

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824014111

just giving you another choice for great gaming hope it helps!

5. tweakboy

tweakboy TS Guru Posts: 467

Thats no good man, 60hz refresh rate will be laggy mouse movement and will be horrible,

Thats not a gaming monitor @ all,

6. gamingmage

gamingmage TS Rookie Posts: 64

the one i put up is 75 and it works great with CS:S, BF2, AoE 3, WoW, and Oblivion and much more

7. wolfram

60hz refresh rate is excellent for LCD monitors. I always set mine @ 60hz, and it looks phenomenal (and I'm not using yet the DVI connection).
    @ MetalX: I just came from Monterrey, Mexico. That's why I didn't post since December :)

8. Shoupie080

Shoupie080 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 67

I do like that 19'' gaming and it's a few bucks cheaper...do you guys really think the refresh rate would make that much of a difference? Right now my crt is set at 75 and I guess I wouldn't want to buy a monitor with a lower refresh rate if it would effect gaming......Let me know what you guys think i'm going to buy a monitor tomorrow so any suggestions i'm going to follow...keep in mind I dont want to spend over 300.00.....thanks in advance everyone

9. wolfram

Refresh rate on LCD's is not that important. A LCD monitor can happily run @ 60 Hz. Refresh rate is really important with CRT monitors, because they use a completely different technology.

You should be fine with that 60 Hz monitor. It is not going to affect gaming at all.

Regards :wave:

10. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Hey Wolfram, long time no see ;) .

Oh, and tweak boy, you don't know what you're talking about. My monitor is a Xerox and is only allowed and manufactured at 60Hz, and I never receive any delay, or lagg.

11. Superinc

Superinc TS Rookie Posts: 66

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.