Need advice on PSU for new powerful rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the basic question is : what PSU to get for the following config....i got lost between hooking up 2 480W NC watercooled PSUs or getting one big PSU trying to get something silent, and putting less disco lights.

here it goes:

Basic:
A8nN-Sli
Fx 55 (cooled by the vapochill)
2x 6800Ultra PCIe
2x Seagate Ultra320 (via adaptec ultra320)
1x Audigy 2zs
2gigs twinmos

Cooling:
Vapochill!
7x120Fans
1xBlackIceExtreme III
1xInnovatek Ehiem 12v pump
Cooling pattern:
pump>Chipset>SLi>""PSUs"">HDD cooling box>Water meter (approx: 30cm high)>Radiator>pump

Extras:
1xDVD/CD etc...
1xDVD Rom
1xCrystalfontz #634
1xInnovatek Fan-o-matic

Lights: Depending, considering the PSU.

If you have any suggestions pls help.

Thanks

You've got some beefy hardware picked out there.

With the already strenous requirements of the 6800, I'd suggest no less than a name brand 450W - 480W PSU. If you can get a nice Enlight 550, I'd take that. That should be sufficient. I'd initially have the bare minimum installed, and test the PSU for at least 24 hours to ensure it is stable and that the voltage stays within 10% of what it should be. After that, add the rest of the hardware.

My question, why are you using case fans when the most important components are being water cooled? I'd use less internal fans and focus more on getting airflow around those video cards.

Yup

Well.. i got 5 fans on the Radiator. and 2 for the air flow...i also have 2x80 within directive tubbed airflow on the rams. otherwise.. the fans are just enough and not too much.... if you think the 6800ultras are my worries...your wrong its more like the Vapochill XE ... i wonder , yes i wonder... how much powaaaa i would need.. 550W good name would be enough if the Vapo is not in there.. but with the vapo, i would really need more. I was maybe looking into the Thermaltake 680W.. its a good name, and i think 680W would be enough (including OC) if i give up the lights and all the gizmos that would not be usefull..

Would you know, if that is the choice, where i could purchase that item..

Thanks guys.

Well... thanks.. but i am still trying to finish it by the 10th of Feb. and apparently on OC.co.uk its only available by end march. i would also think that 1x680w would be enough...

still looking for it though... if you have any other ideas...

id remcommend a PC Power & Cooling Turbopower 510

most cosistant wattage and will easily handle the 6800 you plan on runnin

thanks for the info. after some research, i think the best would be the OCZ 600W compared to the thermaltake 680W. Why ? simple tell me if i am wrong: the ocz has 12v 12v1 & 12v2 , same as the Therma. but the only difference is the Amp output.. which has a VERY big difference : the OCZ is the following: 12v(33A)12v1(20A)12v2(18) OCZ specs and the Thermaltake are 12v(15A)12v1(15A)12v2(8A)Thermaltake specs

so i guess its hard to beat the OCZ for the moment. i have a hard time finding the specs of the PcP&P 850W(which i cant even find on google lol), so if you have a link that would be cool.

pls keep in mind that i have to boost many elements, and it just doesn't stop on the SLi. i also need to pump juice for the vapo(appro 180W12A on start up), 2 ultra320 Discs, 2DVDcdrw,1 pump, 6fans, 2gigs Ram. unfortunatly i dont know the EXACT consomption of the Sli, but i guess it should not go over 250W once OC'd.

whoa sick hardware!
I'd say go with at least 500 W,
My system is started to go all funny due to my no name 350 W, i shoud really get a new PSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back