Need advice on purchaising new mobo. help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello anyone or everyone. I recently bought a PCI express graphics card but my motherboard has no PCI express slots, i was intending on getting a new mother board anyway but i want to keep my CPU. i really dont know what to look for, my existing motherboard model is MS-6534 ... i beleive. if someone could give me some advise i'd be very grateful.

Your MoBo has the following Specs for the CPU

• Supports Socket 478 for Intel® Pentium 4 processor
• Supports 1.3GHz, 1.4GHz and up to 2.2GHz

You should buy a MoBo that has the same SOCKET which is 478 in order to use the same CPU...

Also... make sure it has SDRAM PC-133 SUpport
- Support PC133 SDRAM

Hello and welcome to techspot!

First, please confirm that I am looking at the right motherboard:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=40

Assuming it is, then I have some semi-bad news.

That is a socket 478 motherboard, and as far as I know, there is no such thing as a socket 478 motherboard with PCI express graphics. In other words, if you want to upgrade to PCI express graphics, you will need to upgrade BOTH your motherboard and your CPU.

Yes, probably the ram as well. Depending on what motherboard you upgrade to, your current ram MAY work in it, but it'll slow your system down a bit as it is relatively slow ram.

And you'll likely need a new PSU to power all this new stuff as well.

Well, he may be able to reuse:

1. Case
2. optical drive(s)
3. hard drive(s)

which helps cut the costs a bit of a completely new system. But yes, it looks like what you have (xelin) is not a very upgradable system unfortunately.

Yea, i feared as much :(. ok. so what sort of money am i looking at to gte what i need. my current system has a PCI sound card, floppy and CD/dvd drives. the hard drive and im using a USB ADSL modem

Or...you can return the Video Card to the store (if possible) and take an AGP Video Card instead :(

i bought the card from ebay, im gonna get a new system without a graphics card or sound card. its about time i had a PC to myself anyway. thanks for all the help peeps xxx

I'd say you are about due for an upgrade anyways. ;)

If you want help picking out your new system, let us know your budget and what you mainly use your computer or and we'll help you put one togehter.

Cheers!

yea but i got some good news last night. i MAY have alot of money to spend on a new system, so i should have alot of fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back