Need advice on second HDD

By DonNagual
Jan 10, 2005
  1. I am wanting to get a 2nd hard drive, probalby 160Gb, and have a noob question.

I live in Japan, and this website:,2,3#SEAGATE

has the lowest prices around. I am thinking of getting Seagate based on what I have read.

My question is, what interface do I want? I have the option of U-ATA/100 or Serial ATA, or Serial ATA2. I have no idea... :wave: :knock:

Any help on how I can figure out what my system can take?

Thanks as always guys.
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

sata II is the best, but few drives on market support it. you'll need newest versions of windows to support these new interfaces. i personally prefer maxtor for thier performance/reliability.
  3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 2,404

OK, here is a question that'll give away my lack of knowledge...

How can I tell if I am able to use Serial ATA2 Hard Drives? Is it only dependant on the version of windows you have? I have XP sp2.

Zephead: My current HDD is Maxtor, and I am on my 3rd one in a year because the particular model I have keeps failing. Had it replaced under warranty twice, and now this one is failing too.
  4. MrDJ009

MrDJ009 TS Rookie

5. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

that's odd your hdd failed, i have never had a maxtor fail. i still have a working maxtor ATA drive from 1989 or so and the thing still runs like a watch. anyways, to use SATA II, you need:

*an SATA II controller/port
    *an SATA II cable
    *an SATA II compliant HDD
    *software support with your OS/BIOS
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.