Need advice on second HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNagual

I am wanting to get a 2nd hard drive, probalby 160Gb, and have a noob question.

I live in Japan, and this website: http://www.faith-go.co.jp/lists/itemlist.asp?cid=00031&fl=1,2,3#SEAGATE

has the lowest prices around. I am thinking of getting Seagate based on what I have read.

My question is, what interface do I want? I have the option of U-ATA/100 or Serial ATA, or Serial ATA2. I have no idea... :wave: :knock:

Any help on how I can figure out what my system can take?

Thanks as always guys.

sata II is the best, but few drives on market support it. you'll need newest versions of windows to support these new interfaces. i personally prefer maxtor for thier performance/reliability.

OK, here is a question that'll give away my lack of knowledge...

How can I tell if I am able to use Serial ATA2 Hard Drives? Is it only dependant on the version of windows you have? I have XP sp2.

P.S.
Zephead: My current HDD is Maxtor, and I am on my 3rd one in a year because the particular model I have keeps failing. Had it replaced under warranty twice, and now this one is failing too.

that's odd your hdd failed, i have never had a maxtor fail. i still have a working maxtor ATA drive from 1989 or so and the thing still runs like a watch. anyways, to use SATA II, you need:

*an SATA II controller/port
*an SATA II cable
*an SATA II compliant HDD
*software support with your OS/BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back