Need Advice: PSU for Dell Dim 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Op2

Hello eveybody,

I have a Dell Dimension 3000, and everything have worked fine until now. I'm using a 250W PSU.
Description
Intel Celeron D 330 (2.66GHz) Processor
512MB PC3200 DDR Memory
80GB 7,200rpm Hard Drive
48x CD-RW Combo Optical Drive
Dell A215 Stereo Speakers
Intel Extreme 2 Integrated Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory
v.92 56Kbps Modem and 10/100 Ethernet
Six USB 2.0 Ports and Three PCI Slots
Dell 17" LCD Monitor
I just bought a new video card (a 3dfuzion fx5500 PCI card require minimum of 250w), and decide to buy a new more powerful power supply just in case.

I have no experience at all in power supply, so please give me some advices. Some of my questions are:
- How much watt should it be? (for a good future)
- What is a good PSU company for my computer?
- Is it the same size for every normal PSU, or only some will fit to my case?
- If I buy 2 sticks of 1gb ddr ram, are they gonna affect the PSU?

This is how my case should look like inside:
http://users.zoominternet.net/~garsh/Dell/dim3000-3.jpg

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help,
D.

I would put something along the line of a 350-400w power supply of good make into that system. I put an antec 350w into my dell 2300(which has basically the same case). Good companies include: ocz, enermax, seasonic, fsp group, and many others. Most full size atx power supplies are the same size, but some units are longer than others, and in a cramped case a long power supply could be blocked by your cd drive(s).

Here're two power supplies that are great values for what you get.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104901
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

More memory takes slightly more power from your system, but not very much. Even a 250-300w decent unit should handle your current system, but a 350-400 gives you room for upgrades and won't stress the power supply as much.

Thank you very much, vnf4ultra, for your information. It help me a lot.

I am looking at an used Enermax EG365P-VE 350W Dual-Fan 20-pin, but I will consider your links as well (well, used stuff is not always a good idea).

I just hope that the new power supply won't be as noisy as the one I'm using. Each time I turn the computer off, I feel like just come out from a factory ^_^!

D.

Proprietary Wiring ...............

DELL, in some models, still uses proprietary motherboards and PSUs. I would go to the PC POWER & COOLING website and see if that model falls within that category. PCPC makes PSUs specifically for those included DELLS.

This Dell uses a standard power supply. There is nothing proprietary in thid Dell Model. Quality is more important than Quantity Any high quality unit over 300 watts will work fine... A 400 or 450 gives you a better edge... provided it is good. We find PC Power and Cooling are best, but we like Antec, Sparkle, and a few others. We have experienced a lot of sudden failures in the past 15 months with the Enermax... which is nothing more than another Chinese product that comes in a nice box. The memory will work fine with the PS, better if matched memory. See www.zipzoomfly.com.
Add a case fan or two, and you will be fine.
But the 3000 is a marginal computer by Dell standards... I would go up to the 5100 or 8000 series.

To chuck4456: I went to pcpower.com and they said I should use ULTRA-QUIET DELL PSU: SILENCER® 470 DELL (http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47D. So should I use that one for my computer? But it's expensive, isn't it? Is that a worth buying a $140 PSU for an old Dell computer?

To raybay: What do you mean by "PC Power and Cooling are the best"? Do you mean the Silencer 470 Dell?
Is Enermax really that bad? I read some good things about them over internet. Since you've said that you experienced them by yourself, it should be something I need to consider.
And certainly, I would love to go up to the higher series or Dell, too; but a new PSU is much cheaper ^_^!

You should just build your own computer instead of putting more stuff into a old Dell ;)

Most ( good ) PSU are in the $140-200 range so dont worry ;)

Thanks for your comment, TimeParadoX. Like you said before, if I want to have a real powerful PSU, may be the first thing I should do is to build a new system.

I will have a look at that OCZ one when I buy a new motherboard with a PCI-E bus slot ;).

Though expensive, that will be a wise decision you will be proud of later. The 3000 just isn't ready for what you want to do.

The OCZ is absurdly overpriced. The Antec at $65 will do everything the OCZ will do. They are probably made in the same Chinese plant. The enemy of "Good" is "Better" when it is all in the marketing and you are on a budget. Wait until you put your system together and decide at that time. Read the reviews. There is an amazing amount of useful info available on power supplies online. You don't need a Mercedes priced part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back