Need basic info on setting up a Lexmark print server on XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwazevedo

I have a SOHO with several computers running XP Pro. I recently inherited a Lexmark MarkNet Pro 1 (sans installation CD, unfortunately), and I'd like to hook up my printer through this print server directly to my router so that the printer is available to any computer that is on. When I plug everything in, I can print a test page that shows the TCP/IP address of the printer, so I assume that part is working. But when I go to add the printer, the computer can't "see" the print server. In the Printer Wizard, I've tried browsing for the print server/printer, and I've tried entering the URL. I've also tried creating a standard TCP/IP port. All to no avail. I'm not a networking expert, and I think there must be some small key point that I'm missing. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jerry

Go to Lexmark and get the drivers etc. first:
http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl...lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi&&req=:::::

When I installed my printserver (Netgear PS110), I had to first install the PS-driver on each PC. Then (re)install the printer drivers as a LOCAL machine, not-shared, and when it comes to selecting the printer-port, you select the network-port that has been installed by the PS-driver.

I assume that Lexmark won't be that different.

Network printer in Windows sense is not a network printer really.

When you install your network printer, install it as local. You have to create a port for it. I don't know whether you need to make a special Lexmark port or would a standard TCP/IP port do.

I've tried creating a standard TCP/IP port and an LPR port, but in both cases the wizard reports that the print server can't be found on the network. In fact, when I open the router web interface, I can see my other computers but not the print server. When I print a print server test page, DHCP is reported as off, but TCP/IP is reported as active and an address is given (though the address is not one that's part of the network, i.e., not 192.168.1.xx). If I try pinging the print server's reputed address, I get no response.

This is beyond my ken. I don't understand how I can have an address reported but not be able to "see" it on the network. And I don't know how to turn on DHCP for the print server and/or assign an address that's part of the network without being able to access it through a web interface or ftp or whatever. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Jerry

In that case the Lexmark printserver needs some special Lexmark port installed on your computer.
The setup program should be downloadable from the Lexmark website.

Here's how this problem got solved:

The print server had been used on another network, and the IP address was set to one that couldn't be accessed through the router on my current network. By pressing a sequence of buttons on the print server (available from tech support), I was able to activate DHCP. Once the router assigned an IP address, I could telnet to the print server to assign a fixed address within the range of my network. Then it was a simple matter of adding a TCP/IP port and adding the printer through that port.

Hope this helps someone else.

Best,
Jerry

How to configure marknet pro via panel buttons?

jwazevedo said:
Here's how this problem got solved:

The print server had been used on another network, and the IP address was set to one that couldn't be accessed through the router on my current network. By pressing a sequence of buttons on the print server (available from tech support), I was able to activate DHCP. Once the router assigned an IP address, I could telnet to the print server to assign a fixed address within the range of my network. Then it was a simple matter of adding a TCP/IP port and adding the printer through that port.

Hope this helps someone else.
What was the sequence of buttons you had to press. I have a marknet pro 3 that refuses to talk to me over the network. It will print its test page fine and seems to see the network but does not attempt any DHCP configuration.

thanks,
brian...

OK, wrote to lexmark and got a response.

You press the test button for about 10 seconds, until all the lights come on, release the test button. The lights should then begin the SE Menu light sequence. This menu consists of a repeating count of binary light patterns.
Press the Menu button when the lights indicate a binary three to enter the NVRAM Menu.
Press the Menu button when the light indicates a binary two to Reinitialize the NVRAM.
The adapter should then return to a Ready state with the lights scanning across the adapter from left to right and right to left. The NVRAM on the adapter has now been reset and must be reconfigured for your network. For me it DHCP'd the details and now works.

Hope this helps someone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back