Need broadband access in room, any advice?

By Amps7
Jun 4, 2007
  1. Right, hey guys.

I have a games computer in my room I would like to connect to broadband, it has a wireless USB dongle so it can connect to a wireless network. The only problem is my wireless network is way way at the other end of my house so theres no way its picking up that signal.

Possible solutions I know of include:

1. Getting BT to install a phone socket in my room (Heard this is pricey).

2. Buying another wireless router and installing this in the closest room to my room with a phone socket (Not sure if this can be done, can a wireless router send out a broadband signal with only being connected to the phone socket and not a computer?)

3. Replacing the wireless router in the other side of my house with one which can send its signal further (MIMO, Pre-N).

What do you guys think?
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Get some 100 feet of ethernet cable and run it from the wireless network to your room. You get speed, security and reliability.
  3. Amps7

Amps7 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Im afraid Im not allowed to do that, too messy.
  4. momok

momok TS Rookie Posts: 2,265

Where I come from, installing an extra socket in the room is cheaper than actually going out to buy a new router. There can be minor modifications and a slight routing so that one socket in that room or a nearby room becomes two.

That was the case for my home study when there was a lack of sockets (only one) for the phone and the computer.

Your friendly momok =)
  5. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

You might also be able to look into Ethernet over Powerline. I've never dealt with it personally, but I know it is a viable solution.
  6. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Run the cable from the attic, basement or outside the house? Or let BT run the ethernet cable for you :)

Really, since this is a gaming computer and you will probably be playing online games, anything wireless is a bad idea. The ping times will go up and you risk disconnection. It will be even worse if you use some sort of a wireless relay thing..

Oh, and installing a phone socket/cable to your room would be totally pointless. You can't split a DSL connection like that. You need an ethernet connection to your router.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.