Need broadband access in room, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, hey guys.

I have a games computer in my room I would like to connect to broadband, it has a wireless USB dongle so it can connect to a wireless network. The only problem is my wireless network is way way at the other end of my house so theres no way its picking up that signal.

Possible solutions I know of include:

1. Getting BT to install a phone socket in my room (Heard this is pricey).

2. Buying another wireless router and installing this in the closest room to my room with a phone socket (Not sure if this can be done, can a wireless router send out a broadband signal with only being connected to the phone socket and not a computer?)

3. Replacing the wireless router in the other side of my house with one which can send its signal further (MIMO, Pre-N).

What do you guys think?

Get some 100 feet of ethernet cable and run it from the wireless network to your room. You get speed, security and reliability.

Where I come from, installing an extra socket in the room is cheaper than actually going out to buy a new router. There can be minor modifications and a slight routing so that one socket in that room or a nearby room becomes two.

That was the case for my home study when there was a lack of sockets (only one) for the phone and the computer.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

You might also be able to look into Ethernet over Powerline. I've never dealt with it personally, but I know it is a viable solution.

Run the cable from the attic, basement or outside the house? Or let BT run the ethernet cable for you :)

Really, since this is a gaming computer and you will probably be playing online games, anything wireless is a bad idea. The ping times will go up and you risk disconnection. It will be even worse if you use some sort of a wireless relay thing..

Oh, and installing a phone socket/cable to your room would be totally pointless. You can't split a DSL connection like that. You need an ethernet connection to your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back