Need Burner Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just bought a new LG 32x10x40x cdrw drive and i am running a amd k6-2 450 with 128mb ram and a 10gb quantum fireball hard drive and it won't burn.It does in burn in a way but it doesn't burn the data at all.After it is all done i get a CD Read Failed error and i am using EasyCD Creator 5 Basic.It keeps making coasters no matter the speed i burn at.It gets evetrything ready to burn and then when it begins it burn it doesn't burn the data, it keeps getting a buffer underrun b/c it stops everytime in thre same spot and it burns only a certain amount then quits and gives me the CD Read Faied error everytime.Oh yah my HDD is the primary slave,primary slave is empty,the burner is the secondary master, and my cd rom is the secondary slave.What is causing this these errors? i was thinking maybe do a format then try it but i dunno if it will work.I am looking for solutions b/c it is really annoying me when i keeps making coasters with a brand new burner.Can someone please tell me what is going on?

What OS are you using, I think there was a patch for EZ Creator that you have to get for XP, not sure though. Does this occur with other Burning apps?

Here is Nero's FAQ on Buffer underrun errors (I don't use EZ CD CREATOR but it should be similar)

They are the most common recorder errors. In this case, try to use a lower write speed and/or maximize your PC's speed. This can be done by hard disk defragmentation, not using any other software while burning a CD, disabling of any background processes, disabling screen savers or energy saving tools and so on.
1.defragment your hard disk from time to time
2.no other tasks should be performed by the computer during the burn process
3.before burning, you should always run the speed test and the simulation in order to get the optimal speed. If you don't do that, the maximum possible write speed of the recorder is kept as default.

Doesn't help much does it.

I had a similar problem with XP, but it would only happen sometimes. I solved it with a patch from MS.

I am using Windows ME and no it didn't help all that much really.I was thinking a Total Format if u think that will help at all i hav't done one in a year or to

This is the error i get

Problem:

An error occurred while trying to read from the source CD.

Solution:

· Clean the CD to remove dust, fingerprints, or scratches on the surface.

· Try another blank CD.

· Try another brand of media.

· Check for faulty or disconnected cables between your computer and your CD-Recorder.

· Check for improper termination of the bus (SCSI only).

· Restart Easy CD Creator.

· Turn the CD-Recorder off and then on.

· Restart your computer.

i tried a test The cd beings to spin up like it is about to go then it the cd begins to speed down and then it stops and the error dialog box comes up telling me i got an error.Saying CD Read Failed.

Don't copy CD to CD.. Especailly with that fast of a burner. Some good reasons not to are CDs do are not read at a constant speed because of scratches, dust, fingerprints.. etc.. And CD to CD transfer can create much unnecessary CPU usage which a 450Mhz K62 is going to have a hard to handling.

My suggestion is to copy the CD's contents to your hard disk, then burn it to a CD. You can copy it's contents in several ways, but the easiest may be to use the Easy CD copy program.

Make sure DMA is enabled (Control Panel - System - Device Manager - CDROM). It should be enabled for hdd as well. If you copy from CD to CD on-the-fly, you'll get problems because your cd-drives are in the same bus. So, if you want to copy CDs, do as Rick says.

Another thing you could do, as you're running Win9x/ME:
Run regedit.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion
Make a new key called CD-ROM.
In CD-ROM, add binary data (or whatever it's called, binary anyway):
Required Pause Tolerance
Add E7 13 00 00 to binary data.
Close regedit, open Control Panel - System - Performance - File System - CD-ROM. You'll notice that cd-rom read cache is set for single-speed or something like that. Choose the fastest setting.
Now you should have 4M CD-ROM cache.

I got that new patch from Roxio to update my EasyCDCreator and everything works perfectly now i burned 414mb on a cd last night in like 1 and a half minutes :) MMMMM Fastttt Thanks for all the help though guys really apperciate it but it's working perfectly now.

Good you go it working - I was gone this weekend but here would have been my suggestion: Upgrade the firmware, guess I overlook the simplier answers sometimes :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back