Need desperate help with C0000218 Registry error!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

So i'm gonna try to list all the stuff that you guys might need to know about my computer.

About a couple of days ago, my friend lent me his iPod Shuffle 1 GB. Now my computer is kinda complex... It has two operating systems on it and when i start my computer up, I can choose between XP and 2000. When i brought my shuffle home, the computer was already turned on to XP. I plugged the Shuffle into a USB drive. And the computer automatically detected the unknown hardware and installed a driver. Now when i turned on iTunes, it said that the Shuffle was not correctly installed (if i remember correctly) and that i needed to reinstall iTunes. So i went to my control panel and then Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled iTunes and then it said that i needed to restart my computer. So right after i turned my computer on, i went to the startup screen where it displays which Operating system i can pick. So i chose XP and next thing i know, I see the BSOD... I pull the plug from the back of my computer and restart it. Same thing happens, BSOD, same message. I then pull the power cord AGAIN and this time, i start it up in Safe mode. It quickly displays a list of drivers then, once again, i see the BSOD.

The Blue screen of death message:
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable

Then it says something along the lines of: Beginning physical memory dump: ##

So then i try restarting a couple more times, still doesn't work. I decide that i have no choice but to go into my other OS, windows 2000. About a day or two passes and i go back onto the computer. Naturally, I can view XP or 2000 files on either Operating system. For example, i can view a notepad document made on 2000 in XP. I do this by going to D:\Documents and Settings\Samuel and picking out the file i want to view. I am pretty sure that Samuel is the XP account name since the 2000 account name is D:\Documents and Settings\Samuel.SAMUEL-3F2HVCOI

However, the interesting thing is that when i was in 2000 OS, I tried to go into the D:\Documents and Settings\Samuel folder (the XP account) and found that i couldn't due to access (permission) issues even though i was on an Administrator account. I had to manually re-do the security rights by replacing the owner. This folder the only folder that i needed to do this for. All other account folders were fine (2000 and XP both). And this account was the account i was on when i uninstalled iTunes and restarted the computer. By the way, i had no problems getting into the C:\Documents and Settings\Samuel (the XP account folder for C since i have two hard drives)

That is about all i remember for now. Im pretty sure that i am giving a bit too many details and that the solution is much more basic than what i am making it out to be. but there is no harm in being too safe.

Also, I am about 99% sure that the cause of the BSOD is because of the driver installed by the iPod Shuffle since the cause of BSODs are usually driver problems.

What I'd hopefully be able to do is to go back onto XP since i am currently on 2000

I know this is a lot to read but I APPRECIATE ALL HELP... THANK YOU.

Also if you need me to clarify on anything, I am all ears

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

0xC0000218: UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR

A necessary Registry hive file couldn’t be loaded. The file may be corrupt or missing (requiring either an Emergency Repair Disk or a Windows reinstallation). The Registry files may have been corrupted because of hard disk corruption or some other hardware problem. A driver may have corrupted the Registry data while loading into memory, or the memory where the Registry is loading may have a parity error (turn off the external cache and check the physical RAM).

See this Microsoft article for a possible solution.

You might also find this useful and this too.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I read all those help links but is there any way i could fix this problem without re-doing my whole computer? I know that the iPod shuffle driver created this error so can i target that solely and fix this problem?

Hey everyone,

So i'm gonna try to list all the stuff that you guys might need to know about my computer.

About a couple of days ago, my friend lent me his iPod Shuffle 1 GB. Now my computer is kinda complex... It has two operating systems on it and when i start my computer up, I can choose between XP and 2000. When i brought my shuffle home, the computer was already turned on to XP. I plugged the Shuffle into a USB drive. And the computer automatically detected the unknown hardware and installed a driver. Now when i turned on iTunes, it said that the Shuffle was not correctly installed (if i remember correctly) and that i needed to reinstall iTunes. So i went to my control panel and then Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled iTunes and then it said that i needed to restart my computer. So right after i turned my computer on, i went to the startup screen where it displays which Operating system i can pick. So i chose XP and next thing i know, I see the BSOD... I pull the plug from the back of my computer and restart it. Same thing happens, BSOD, same message. I then pull the power cord AGAIN and this time, i start it up in Safe mode. It quickly displays a list of drivers then, once again, i see the BSOD.

The Blue screen of death message:
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable

Then it says something along the lines of: Beginning physical memory dump: ##

So then i try restarting a couple more times, still doesn't work. I decide that i have no choice but to go into my other OS, windows 2000. About a day or two passes and i go back onto the computer. Naturally, I can view XP or 2000 files on either Operating system. For example, i can view a notepad document made on 2000 in XP. I do this by going to D:\Documents and Settings\Samuel and picking out the file i want to view. I am pretty sure that Samuel is the XP account name since the 2000 account name is D:\Documents and Settings\Samuel.SAMUEL-3F2HVCOI

However, the interesting thing is that when i was in 2000 OS, I tried to go into the D:\Documents and Settings\Samuel folder (the XP account) and found that i couldn't due to access (permission) issues even though i was on an Administrator account. I had to manually re-do the security rights by replacing the owner. This folder the only folder that i needed to do this for. All other account folders were fine (2000 and XP both). And this account was the account i was on when i uninstalled iTunes and restarted the computer. By the way, i had no problems getting into the C:\Documents and Settings\Samuel (the XP account folder for C since i have two hard drives)

That is about all i remember for now. Im pretty sure that i am giving a bit too many details and that the solution is much more basic than what i am making it out to be. but there is no harm in being too safe.

Also, I am about 99% sure that the cause of the BSOD is because of the driver installed by the iPod Shuffle since the cause of BSODs are usually driver problems.

What I'd hopefully be able to do is to go back onto XP since i am currently on 2000

I know this is a lot to read but I APPRECIATE ALL HELP... THANK YOU.

Also if you need me to clarify on anything, I am all ears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back