Need file recovery program

By Dave-427SS
Oct 27, 2006
  1. I got myself in trouble when I tried to update my BIOS on my Asus A8N-SLI mobo. Somehow the procedure corrupted a lot of system files and I couldn't boot. It went into a looping mode. The recovery console on the Windows XP CD would not even recognize the hard drive anymore. I wanted to avoid re-formatting the 300gb Maxtor (thus losing data), so I purchased a separate hard drive (200gb Maxtor) and installed new system on that drive.

So now my computer is working fine again, but a lot of my data is residing on my old drive.

I tried ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) to recover the files and the program works great, it sees the files but you need to buy the $80 program to recover them. That's too much money to download a program I'll probably only use one time.

Does anyone know a good (maybe free, or less expensive) recovery program?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

PC Inspector File Recovery is free, so is the Restoration program by Brian Kato.
  3. lludacrisboy

lludacrisboy TS Rookie Posts: 24

acronis works like a charm
  4. smore9648

smore9648 TS Rookie Posts: 697

5. Dave-427SS

Dave-427SS TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

Thanks very much for the replies. Thankfully (due to a recent backup), I really only needed to recover a few hundred files, and the trial version of ZAR allowed me to do that.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.