Need Gaming Headphones for Laptop

Route44

Was not sure where to post this since the Gaming Forum is listed under the Software section. Anyway, so my son's birthday is coming up soon and I'd like to get him a nice gaming headset in the $50-75 range. I have done a lot of research but there are a ton of mixed reviews on so many different makes and models. So I come here looking for your input.

1. I am looking for decent build quality especially concerning the mic and headband. I have lost count of how many people reporting loose to frayed wires that makes the mic useless after two months.

2. Over the ear and not on the ear. Trying to eliminate ear fatigue as much as possible.

Not sure what else to ask. Thanks.

Do you want your kid to be silent to bystanders when he's using them? He'll need 'closed-back' headphones. Otherwise, 'open-back' gives better sound overall, but leaks a little.

Some good brands are Turtle Beach or Razer. I don't know of any specific models, but I have the Razer Carachias and it's pretty damn neat.

Don't bother with 'surround sound' gimmicks.

Hey, thanks much for the feedback especially the "surround sound" gimmick advice. Nice to know. Open back is what I am looking at; how is the mic on that model of yours?

Hey, thanks much for the feedback especially the "surround sound" gimmick advice. Nice to know. Open back is what I am looking at; how is the mic on that model of yours?
I like Tritton Headphones personally because to me they have given me good quality and have lasted very well. I have had my current set now for well over 2 years and they still sound and work just as well as the day I got them. They have models in the price range you mentioned and the good thing about these ones is they have adapters for Consoles as well. They give good quality sound and can separate Voice and game audio!

Ah, GhostRyder, I was in my local Gamestop just looking to compare what they had and a young lady who was helping me said her favorite is the Tritton Kunai for gaming. Question, how is your Tritton on the ears? I am looking for the kind where the earpiece cups the whole ear so that the ear comfortably is housed within the cup rather than resting on the ear and thus pushing the ear against one's head.

Ah, GhostRyder, I was in my local Gamestop just looking to compare what they had and a young lady who was helping me said her favorite is the Tritton Kunai for gaming. Question, how is your Tritton on the ears? I am looking for the kind where the earpiece cups the whole ear so that the ear comfortably is housed within the cup rather than resting on the ear and thus pushing the ear against one's head.
Well for me they completely cover my ears and have a nice soft padding around them that do not irritate me or my head when I'm gaming. They do a good job of giving good sound quality and keeping noise to a minimum outside of the headphones.

Back