Need good advice on motherboard for Athlon 64 3000+ CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi everyone!

After some time and some money, I decided to bump my Celeron D 335 CPU and get a real AMD CPU.
So I chose the Athlon 64 3000+ Venice CPU. It should be a great boost over my old celeron CPU.
Now I need a motheboard for it. I found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138264

I don´t mind about the microATX form factor. I don´t have a SINGLE PCI card.
The motherboard has a good chipset and a good integrated video.
Please keep on mind that my budget is limited, because I was planning to get a cedar mill celeron, and then I decided to get an AMD because they´re better for gaming.

What do you think about this?

Thanks!

PD: I really like AMD now!!

Thanks for the response DonNagual!

What are the main differences between the chipsets?

Also, I didn´t like the last two reviews about that Asus motherboard.

Thanks!

Congrats on switching to AMD, always glad to hear that! :)

I personally LOVE this board, now before people start gang banging me, listen/read.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813153030

There are some troubling reviews, but only 3 out of 41 votes... C'mon.

No onboard Video...

I have this board and am VERY pleased with it, I'll list all my setting once EVERYTHING is hooked up tomorrow or the day after. :D

As for a new GF card, I'd go with the Mid-range Giant, the XFX 7600GT!

Thanks for the suggestion. But I´m not really interested on a SLI motherboard. I wouldn´t like to pay extremely high electricity bills :dead: :unch:

Will that Biostar motheboard be good enough for gaming? Also, I know it has some overclocking options.

I´m new to AMD overclocking, so, how do you overclock and AMD since it has no FSB?

Thanks a lot!

I'd go for an NVidia chipset.

Dual channel DDR etc etc.

My humble K8NSC-939 gets my 144 opty to 2700MHz from 2000.

Now I have another question:

Will my PSU handle the new load?

HERE is the link.

It has good amps on the 12V rails. I don´t know if that´s enough....

Thanks for the VERY QUICK and accurate response!
That system needs about 245W. I think it could handle the load! :angel: :D

Also, I have ANOTHER question:

The Biostar motherboard I want has a Nvidia chipset. Do I have to use exclusively a Nvidia video card or can I use an ATI card?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that PSUs typically put out about 70% of what they are rated at. So a 300W psu will start working pretty hard when running over 210w. Of course it CAN do it, but you'll be stressing it to it's full limits everytime you turn on your computer.

I personally can't suggest that PSU for your system. It'd probably be OK, but.... up to you.

Nvidia chipsets have no problem running ATI graphics cards. ;)

Yeah, that´s what I tought too. It is now 1 year old, so it has some capacitor aging :hotbounce

I´ll use the new system sometime (hopefully not for too long) with the integrated video, in the mean time I´ll get some money for a PCI-E video card.

I´ll try the PSU with a new videocard (probably Geforce 6600GT, RadeonX1600PRO or Radeon X800GTO, don´t know yet) and if the machine reboots constantly or I get BSOD´s, I´ll get a new PSU.

Can you recommend a good and as cheap as posible PSU?

Thanks!

If something fails, then I would choose the $40 PSU. Thanks a lot for your time and very valuable help DonNagual!

I´ll let you know in a short future what happened. Also, I´ll need some help later choosing a video card.

Thanks a lot! :giddy: :wave:

I think your PSU can handle everything without a problem. It´s a very good and reliable PSU. I know it, I had one, but I blew it doing an insane experiment :hotbounce :hotbounce :hotbounce :hotbounce :hotbounce

It is a great board for the price. The reason I didn't recommend it to you in the beginning was it appeared you were looking for a board with integrated graphics, and this one does not have any.

If you don't need integrated graphics and are looking for a 939 ATX board, then any nforce4 chipset board from the big boys (Asus, DFI, Gigabyte, MSI etc) would be a great choice.

Pretty good board.

I don't think any NForce 3 or 4's come with onboard? I may be wrong...

You can always whack a cheap 9250 or similar in & get better performance than any onboard anyway.

Some motherboards have nforce4 based southbridges used together with geforce northbridges providing the integrated graphics.

First, I thought I would need integrated graphics. Now I don´t need them anymore, because I´ve discovered an old radeon 7200 32MB PCI (yeah, I know, VERY old), but it should be enough until I get a radeon x800gto.

Finally, I´ve got some cash!

Here´s what I´ll order in a few days:

CPU

MOBO

VGA CARD

I think this should be a fairly good system. This should handle games very good, with the proper settings.

Tell me what you think of this. Thanks!

Radeon?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Ok, if you want crappy service, not so good quality and a headache every now and then, surely get it! If not, go with Nvidia dude, believe me on this one. Although the Memory interface looks to be pretty good.

Currently, I have a Radeon card and it works PERFECTLY. No headaches, no probs at all.

And its the faster card for the price. Its faster than the 6600GT, and the 6800.

Also, the 7600GT is still 128bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back