Need guide on setup mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto_007

Hello can anyone guide me on setting up a mail server on Suse 9.1. I am a complete noob to this, a simple instruction would be great.
Also do i need to spend money to get my domain name to something like info@mephisto.com. And where about do i start it from.
Please help me. :(

SuSE uses Postfix by default AFAIK so just start with the basic setup from here: http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html

As for the domain name registration, looks like mephisto.com is taken and I doubt they would let you use their servers for relay :p
If you want to register your own domain name then your first stop should be your ISP - they may get you a good deal. Otherwise there are way too many companies offering domain registration for outrageous prices. Just make your pick :p

Ok so postfix is a mail server software right? but how do access and run it, does it even have GUI for me to play with or just plain script. I try to access it in YaST2 but there is none Postfix for me to config, or going through file:/etc/postfix only to see nothing but documents which im totally confuse because when i use Add/Remove Software it said Postfix has already installed!?
Anybody please help me.

If you insist on pretty interfaces then you can install Webmin.
Postfix is installed by default but you have to configure it to use it over the network.

You can use SquirrelMail for a front end GUI. That is what i used for mine. Works great and easy to setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back