TechSpot

Need guide on setup mail server

By mephisto_007
Apr 14, 2005
  1. Hello can anyone guide me on setting up a mail server on Suse 9.1. I am a complete noob to this, a simple instruction would be great.
    Also do i need to spend money to get my domain name to something like info@mephisto.com. And where about do i start it from.
    Please help me. :(

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

SuSE uses Postfix by default AFAIK so just start with the basic setup from here: http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html

As for the domain name registration, looks like mephisto.com is taken and I doubt they would let you use their servers for relay :p
    If you want to register your own domain name then your first stop should be your ISP - they may get you a good deal. Otherwise there are way too many companies offering domain registration for outrageous prices. Just make your pick :p

3. mephisto_007

mephisto_007 TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 224

Ok so postfix is a mail server software right? but how do access and run it, does it even have GUI for me to play with or just plain script. I try to access it in YaST2 but there is none Postfix for me to config, or going through file:/etc/postfix only to see nothing but documents which im totally confuse because when i use Add/Remove Software it said Postfix has already installed!?
    Anybody please help me.

4. Nodsu

If you insist on pretty interfaces then you can install Webmin.
    Postfix is installed by default but you have to configure it to use it over the network.

5. mephisto_007

I have install Webmin but cannot access webbase through http://localhost:10000/, what else do i need to configure?

6. Nodsu

Did you start the webmin server after you installed it?

7. mephisto_007

Sorry Nodsu how do i start Webmin? :eek:

EDIT: never mind i just know how. Thank Nodsu

8. MattG

MattG TS Rookie Posts: 140

You can use SquirrelMail for a front end GUI. That is what i used for mine. Works great and easy to setup.

9. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,022   +591

google SSMTP ; trivial setup

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.