Need hardware for changing Hi8 into DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNagual

My video recorder uses Hi8 tapes, and I have been simply using my VHS to record my home movies onto VHS tapes.

But now I want to be able to dump these videos (and future ones) into my HDD so I can edit them, then burn to a DVD.

My current video card is the Asus 6800GT 256Mb, but it does not have video in.

I need a suggestion on what PCI or USB hardware I should get in order to just plug in my video camera to it and dump the video onto my hard drive.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Right now, I am looking at something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815118202

I have done a lot of video work on my computer. To me the biggest thing is ram and not the video card. I have an adaptec adapter that goes through a usb port and it works fine. Just make sure you have the ram because it cause me to crash before I finally figured it out.

If you have the time, can you let me know what that adaptec adapter is that you are using and whether or not you'd recommend it? That is the part I am in need of.

I have 1Gb of ram now, and thinking of making the leap to 2Gb. Is it just me, or does just SAYING "I have 2Gb of ram" sound insane? <-- me showing my age.

It all depends on what you plan to do with the system. If you are wanting to get into some serious video editing then yeah thre more the better. If you want to just play a few games and surf the web, it's way overkill.

If you get a USB adapter, just be sure you have USB 2.0 ports on your computer, if you don't I'd suggest getting a USB 2.0 controller card. It will definately be worth it.

The other thing you could consider, is if you are planning to upgrade soon, you might look into a new video card that has video-in capabilities. I have an ATI all-in-wonder right now and absolutely love the input capability.

Well, with the 6800GT 256mb, I don't plan on updating anytime soon....

I am leaning towards getting a PCI type capture card over the USB. The USB seem to be way more expensive, and take up desk space.

Any suggestions on a card? Is hardware encoding better than software or vice versa?

Thanks again!

I am looking at it and it doesn't have the model number. I would recommend it to play around with just because it was really cheap. With a gig and possibly going to two you have more than enough ram. I enjoy editing home videos for me and other people as well. If you know what you are doing I would just get the badass video card instead of the adapter.

That looks like just what I need!!!

I just did a search, and it appears to be available ONLY in samsclub. I imagine shipping to Japan is gonna double the price. Too bad.

Thanks anyways iss. Appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back