Need Help: CDRW will not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, i just bought a Dell 600m for school, which comes equpped with a cdrw/dvd rom. I burn, CD-R's fine, but when i try to burn blank CDRW, i have a window telling me my system does not recognize the disk. Im using EZ CD creator 5, and trying to burn Verbatim CD-RW 16x-24x disks ( my burner runs at 24x ). I tried using Nero, still no go. Should i get a new driver, plug-in? Any help is much appreciated.

Hmm....Have you tried another piece of CD-RW or CD-R? Perhaps your CDRW disc has been scratched or something.

Or you could be trying to burn it at a faster speed than it is rated for? Maybe slow it down to 1x or 2x and see if that helps.

You may also need a firmware update for your drive to make it recognize newer media types.

Originally posted by CaptainAhab
... i have a window telling me my system does not recognize the disk ...
By the sounds of it, I would expect that your drive is not able to use 16x-24x cdrw media as these are very new and your drive would probably only recognise 10x cdrw media at most. I have yet to find 16x-24x cdrw media for sale, though my drive doesn't support them either. The drive speed rating that you quoted is most likely for cdr media only. Check the manual. I think you are going to have to sell those disks as there is no way you'll be able to use them with your drive. If you know the model of drive, then we'll be able to give you a definitive answer, but as things stand, there aren't many drives currently on the market that are able to burn 16x-24x cdrw media.

Nic - honest question: Are you saying if a cdrw was to be rated 16x-24x you couldn't burn it slower than 16x?
I find that hard to believe, but then again I dont' pay attention to this stuff cause my 4x4x24 doesnt' care what I toss in it.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Nic - honest question: Are you saying if a cdrw was to be rated 16x-24x you couldn't burn it slower than 16x?
I find that hard to believe, but then again I dont' pay attention to this stuff cause my 4x4x24 doesnt' care what I toss in it.
Yes, that's exactly what I am saying, according to what I've read on other websites (unless your drive already supports 'Ultra-Speed' media, in which case you wouldn't want to burn your discs slower, though you could if you wanted to). This problem only applies to cdrw media for some reason, and your drive will simply reject any media that it doesn't support. Must have something to do with the composition of the disc, as cdrw media requires very accurate control of the laser to record data effectively. These discs are erasable remember so its not just a simple matter to record data onto them.

Here's a quote from verbatim's website ...

Verbatim

When it comes to the ultimate in writing and rewriting, look for Verbatim’s 16x-24x Ultra Speed CD-RW media. Tested and certified by today’s leading drive manufacturers, Verbatim 16x-24x Ultra Speed discs are the latest in CD-RW technology. Featuring a patented recording layer developed by Verbatim’s parent company Mitsubishi Chemical, Advanced-SERL™ provides superior reliability and durability at 24x re-write speeds. The discs also incorporate a new writing method, 2T Writing Strategy, which ensures the recording of stable marks. In compliance with industry Orange Book standards, Verbatim 16x-24x CDRW discs are compatible for recording & re-writing on CDRW drives with the Ultra-Speed CDRW logo. Supported by Verbatim’s Lifetime Warranty
That says to me that your drive needs to be certified in order to use these discs. I did read in a review somewhere that you cannot use these discs unless your drive is compatible. I think from reading the above you can see that the new 'writing strategy' would make these discs unusable on non 'Ultra-Speed' certified drives. I think the same applies to 10x rated 'High-Speed' cdrw media, which cannot be used in 4x rated drives, though most drives these days do support both 4x and 10x media. You can burn 10x media at 4x, provided your drive supports 10x media. You cannot burn 10x media at 4x on a drive that only supports 4x media. Firmware updates may be able to add support for new media, but in most cases (cdrw) this is unlikely, because of the new writing strategies required.

Originally posted by CaptainAhab
I am using a QSI CDRW/SBW-242, but that should not be a problem since my write speed is specified in roxio as 24x.
Roxio wont allow you to select incompatible speeds for your media, however as your discs aren't even recognised, then roxio never gets a chance to examine them and set the correct speed. It doesn't matter what settings you use, when no disc is inserted, as roxio will let you do anything you like with speed settings. Only when you successfully insert a disc will any speed settings take effect.

Here's the spec for your drive ...QSI SBW-242

Seems like 8x cdrw media is the max. That will mean 10x 'High-Speed' media is compatible, as there is no such thing as 8x cdrw media, which falls into the 'High-Speed' catagory.

I suggest you purchase one 10x cdrw disc and try it out before buying more, and before doing anything with your 16x-24x media. Then you'll understand the issues better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back