TechSpot

Need help choosing a notebook

By andoyan
Jul 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello All,
    My son is about to go to college and is looking to get a new notebook , he saw 3 different notebook and I need some feedback as to which would be a better chose for him. He will be using the notebook for writing assays, email surf the web watching Netflix downloading movies and lessening to music and watching video.
    1) Toshiba -15.6” Intel core i5-320M processor, 6gig memory, 500 gb hard drive, up to 4.35 hours of battery, weighs 5.3lb, windows 8, ports:2 USB3.0, 1 USB 2.0, HDMI, (1USB port with sleep & charge), DTS studio sound, Wireless-n, HD webcam with microphone, Mfr 1year warranty. After rebate $449.99
    2) Toshiba -15.6” Intel core i3-3120M processor, 8gig memory, 750 gb hard drive, up to 4 hours of battery, weighs 5.4lb, windows 8, ports:1 USB3.0, 2 USB 2.0, HDMI, built in numeric keypad, Wireless-n, HD webcam with microphone, Mfr 1year warranty. After rebate $379.99

3) HP-15.6” 3rd gen Intel core i3-3110M, 4GB memory & 750Gb hard drive, weighs 5.18lb, windows 8, ports: 2usb 3.0, 1usb2.0, HDMI, DTS Sound+, Built in numeric keypad, wireless-n, HD webcam with microphone, Mfr 1 year limited warranty, price after rebates $369.99.

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,155   +34

How soon do you need to buy and what is your budget?

Also, where will you be buying/ordering from?

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,975   +908

What is your budget? Also, does he want good battery life? What screen size would he like?

4. andoyan

andoyan TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 82

office depot, budget is around $500.00

the 15" is good and 4.00 hour battery is good enough.
    thanks

5. Route44

For what he needs it for any of those should do; if he wants to game these won't do that; the i5 is a more powerful cpu. Keep in mind heat is the bane of a laptop so a cooling pad is essential.

Also, on average, a laptop will last up to 4 years (there are exceptions). Your experience will vary. I suggest going to Toshiba's and HP's websites and see what the customer reviews are.

6. JC713

I recommend HP and Lenovo PCs. Dont bother with Toshibas.

Is it possible that you can order online (straight from Lenovo) vs office depot?

7. Route44

I concur with JC about Toshiba. Their hard drives do not have the best reputation. I have had mixed results with HP. Lenovo can be purchased now at Staples though the # of models to choose from is limited. If you can wait I believe Lenovo will soon have their back-to-school deals coming up soon, I have ordered from them 3 laptops via online and my experience so far has been good.

8. JC713

Yeah Lenovo does some nice stuff.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.