TechSpot

Need help choosing a video card.

By RisingPhoenix12
Jun 5, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've been wondering for some time about buying a video card, and I know I need a good one for gaming. I currently have a GeForce 4MX, but it unfortunately does not have pixel shaders. I have an emachines AMD Athlon 3200+ processor and am running on Windows XP, 160 GB hard drive capacity with 512MB of ram.

I would like to run Doom 3 on pretty high resolution (although not the max necessarily), Battlefield 2 whenever it comes out, Call of Duty 2 when it comes, and many more. I don't want to be ripped off by buying a video card that I can't use. I don't think I have PCI-Express slots on my motherboard (can't find the manual, and I kind of looked but didn't see any). I have a few PCI slots and atleast 1 AGP slot (I don't know how to determine if it's 8x, 4x, or whatever. I don't know if I'll have to get a new motherboard in order to get a new graphics card, since most that I've seen are using PCI-Express slots.

If someone could fill me in on what would be a good graphics card for me to buy, I'd greatly appreciate it. This GeForce 4 MX is starting to piss me off. I think I have a good system, but I can't run Brothers in Arms, Splinter Cell, Doom 3 is lagging, and I won't be able to run Battlefield 2. Any help is appreciated. And money is a factor, but I don't know how much money I could spend on this :p

2. Grok451

Grok451 TS Rookie Posts: 122

Sorta depends on your budget. I think right now the nVidia 6600GT based cards are pretty good and are selling in the $150 - $200 range. I got a WinFast 6600GT recently, upgrading from a T14100 and am pretty happy with it. I run Doom3, HalfLife2, FarCry3 and Battlefield 1942 at mostly the high settings and at 1680x1050 wide screen pretty well.

Check these out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=6600gt+agp&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Check your eMachines documentation or their website to see if you have 4X or 8x AGP. (I only have 4x)

3. compguy

compguy TS Rookie Posts: 162

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.