Need help choosing a video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering for some time about buying a video card, and I know I need a good one for gaming. I currently have a GeForce 4MX, but it unfortunately does not have pixel shaders. I have an emachines AMD Athlon 3200+ processor and am running on Windows XP, 160 GB hard drive capacity with 512MB of ram.

I would like to run Doom 3 on pretty high resolution (although not the max necessarily), Battlefield 2 whenever it comes out, Call of Duty 2 when it comes, and many more. I don't want to be ripped off by buying a video card that I can't use. I don't think I have PCI-Express slots on my motherboard (can't find the manual, and I kind of looked but didn't see any). I have a few PCI slots and atleast 1 AGP slot (I don't know how to determine if it's 8x, 4x, or whatever. I don't know if I'll have to get a new motherboard in order to get a new graphics card, since most that I've seen are using PCI-Express slots.

If someone could fill me in on what would be a good graphics card for me to buy, I'd greatly appreciate it. This GeForce 4 MX is starting to piss me off. I think I have a good system, but I can't run Brothers in Arms, Splinter Cell, Doom 3 is lagging, and I won't be able to run Battlefield 2. Any help is appreciated. And money is a factor, but I don't know how much money I could spend on this :p

Sorta depends on your budget. I think right now the nVidia 6600GT based cards are pretty good and are selling in the $150 - $200 range. I got a WinFast 6600GT recently, upgrading from a T14100 and am pretty happy with it. I run Doom3, HalfLife2, FarCry3 and Battlefield 1942 at mostly the high settings and at 1680x1050 wide screen pretty well.

Check these out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=6600gt+agp&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Check your eMachines documentation or their website to see if you have 4X or 8x AGP. (I only have 4x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back