TechSpot

Need help choosing DDR2 667MHz memory

By Kam
Mar 23, 2006
  1. Corsair value select DDR2 or Crucial DDR2, which is better

Hi

I am in the process of building a PC and I need some advise as to which type or brand of memory to use that will keep my system stable. Also in terms of quality and performance.

I have purchased the following parts for my configeration and I will be using 2 of my existing HD's, Hitachi Deskstar 7k250 SATA1 150GB.

Gigabyte GA-8I955X Royal Motherboard
    Intel Pentium 4 630 Socket 775 3.0 GHz 2MB 800FSB
    Sapphire Technology Radeon X1600XT 256MB PCIE DVI

I will mainly be using it for general PC use, occaisional gaming, video encoding, watching movies, WinRAR and Azureus P2P.

I am thinking of buying the following memory modules. but not sure if I should choose a Corsair Value Select or TWIN2X2048-5400C4, 675MHz.

Crucial Part Number: CT2KIT12864AA667
    Module Size: 2GB kit (1GBx2)
    Package: 240-pin DIMM
    Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
    Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

I done this memory compatibility search on the Crucial website and the above was included among others. In terms of quality and performace, is the above Crucial 2GB memory a good choice for a for this system or should I choose a Corsair Value select?

Is there a lot of difference quality and performace wise between Corsair and Crucial memory?

Many Thanks.

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

the quality between the brands is about the same- they're both very good. RTFM to determine what the manufactuer prefers.

If you don't plan to overclock (and I don't recommend it) Value select memory is fine. There is a very good article on the screen about this when hit the techspot homepage.

3. Kam

Kam TS Rookie Topic Starter

Is there much difference between the Crucial and the Value Select memory?

I would like to use dual channel 2GB 667MHz memeory and could not find a 2GB Corsiar Value select memeory from the Corsair's memeory recommendation search on their website, the XMS2's are more expensive and I don't plan to do any overclocking.

However, the 2GB Crucial memory with 667MHz which I mentioned in my previous post was included in the recommendations when I used the Crucial website and the price seems reasonable £144.

Which of the two brands memory would you say will perform better?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.