TechSpot

Need Help Choosing IPS Monitor

By Thorah
Feb 14, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. I need to have an IPS monitor for doing my digital illustrations.
    Currently, I only have my laptop's display to use but it's not really good.
    I'm only starting out and still in the learning stage so I can't go for very expensive ones.

Also, even though IPS panels are already very common, stores in my area only has few models and brands available.

I'm choosing between these:

Asus VX239H 23" Widescreen IPS LED Monitor

LG IPS MONITOR MP65

LG 23EA63V

Dell S2240L

I've done some research on it but I would really like to have a second opinion and know which would be the best choice.
    I'm also open for other suggestions. I just hope it's available here in the Philippines.

Thank you in advance.

2. vedolino

vedolino TS Rookie

I am using 2x Dell U2412M, eIPS panel, great viewing angles, great colors, great response time (gaming). And it's 16:10, not squeezed like the 16:9 options.

3. Filip B

Filip B TS Enthusiast Posts: 46   +9

I use the exact same monitor as vedolino and it's the best bang for the buck. As he mentioned above great viewing angles, 16:10 and I've never witnessed any ghosting in game. Great value.

4. Thorah

Thorah TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked it up and it seems to be a very nice IPS monitor, it's available here too.

One thing though... The Dell U2412M is lacking HDMI.
    My laptop only has HDMI & VGA ports. VGA is not good so HDMI is a must.

But do you think using HDMI DVI adapters would work? I mean, it wouldn't affect the quality of display?

Thanks again.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,554   +2,894

Source link

6. vedolino

vedolino TS Rookie

Dvi and hdmi are digital signals, they consist of many 0's and 1. So either there is a signal or there isn't, it can not vary in quality. so, the quality will not be downgraded if using a dvi-hdmi adapter.

7. Thorah

Thorah TS Rookie Topic Starter

Alright. Thank you very much for the answers. I'll go with the Dell U2412M.
    I just need to save up more since it's a few thousand over my current price range.

Last question, should I still calibrate the screen or it's fine out-of-the-box?

If I should, do you have any suggestions as to what software to use?

8. Filip B

Filip B TS Enthusiast Posts: 46   +9

It really depends on a piece. Mine is superb but you'll see in the end if you don't like the colours calibrate it :D because options