Need help, computer will not start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiberOptics

Hello. I read many threads with this same issue, I have tried most of what people suggest, yet I still can't get my computer to boot up.

Basically when I turn on my computer, it does not post (no beeps), the harddrive light stays red (unless I remove HDD of course), and just stays at a black screen. Also the fans all are running. Also I tried keeping the power on to my computer for 10 minutes, then i felt the heatsink and processor and they were not even warm (not sure if they do get warm if they dont pass post).

I tried the following to fix my computer:

-Removed everything attached to the motherboard except the 20 and 4 pin PSU connectors - Nothing happened.
-Tried inspecting processor for burn marks - there was none.
-Tried resetting CMOS - Nothing happened.
-Tried replacing PSU with a known good PSU - Nothing changed.
-Tried taking the motherboard out and reseating it - Nothing changed.

There are a lot of other things I have done that I can't remember, if anyone says anyone of them I will note that I have done it. Thanks.

did you try running the system outside of the case with only the bare essentials? whenever building a system, you should always "table test" everything before installing anything into the case.

first, turn the PSU off. then disconnect all power and data wires, remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a table (on a piece of cardboard, etc.) then connect the PSU, the CPU/HSF, 1 stick of RAM, and 1 video card (if your motherboard has onboard video, then use that instead of a video card). make sure the monitor is plugged in and connected to the video card (or onboard VGA output).

at this point there should be nothing else connected (no hard drives, no optical drives, no USB peripherals, no keyboard, no mouse, nothing!) the PSU should ONLY be plugged into the motherboard (if your video card requires it's own power input then connect that as well, but nothing else).

now clear CMOS. then turn the PSU back on and use a screwdriver to quickly short the two PWR switch pins on the case header. if all connected components are ok then the system should POST.
-if it POSTs then add components (1 at a time, reboot each time) starting with the keyboard, then mouse, other RAM sticks, hard drives, optical drives, etc.
-if it does not POST, then try your other PSU. if it still does not POST then it would appear that you have a bad motherboard or a bad/damaged CPU (bent or broken pins?) if they are not physically damaged then it is unlikely for a CPU to be bad. I would suspect the mobo first.

EDIT: BTW it would be helpful to give all your system specs so we can verify that your components are compatible. be as specific as possible (don't just say intel cpu or 300w psu, give brand name, model number, size, and type for all parts

good luck :wave:

This system has ran before so everything should be compatible.. One day I went to sleep and woke up and it would not start.

I am kind of new to this stuff, what do you mean by: "then turn the PSU back on and use a screwdriver to quickly short the two PWR switch pins on the case header"

My motherboard is a K8N Neo4 Platinum, AMD 3200+ processor. I am aware that I can buy another motherboard and processor for pretty cheap that is better then what I have, but if I can fix my current one, that would be better. I am not at my house right now and don't know what PSU it is, but i can check later.

If there are no beeps when you apply power and the processor/heatsink are cold after 10 mins, the MoBo is toast!

Sorry for being a downer, but that's what that means.

Also I don't know if its worth noting but when I plug the PSU to the wall on my computer and the switch on the back is "on" it turns my comp on automatically, i dont have to press the button on the front.

FiberOptics said:
Also I don't know if its worth noting but when I plug the PSU to the wall on my computer and the switch on the back is "on" it turns my comp on automatically, i dont have to press the button on the front.

Does doing that change the symptoms you initially had? i.e. no beeps, processor/heatsink cold, no display.

Plugging the power cable to my PSU never turned my computer on automatically before I had this problem of my computer not working.. I did however try a different known working PSU, i forgot to check if i plugged it into this PSU if it would also automatically turn my comp on though.

Still, it sounds like your MoBo is fried. Sorry, that's my conclusion based on your symptoms/results.

Ok, is there any possibility it can also be my processor? If I were to buy a new Motherboard I would probably have to buy a new processor as well anyways... Seems like in my city, they don't really sell any more S939 motherboards, seems to sell AM2 and thats it.

You can try but if replacing the processor doesn't work you can't return it. Then you're stuck buying a new MoBo after buying processor you can't use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back